Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The new tourism  (Read 1112 times)

GEOFFREYJAMES

The new tourism
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »

Just for fun.  I went twice to Berlin last year,  a city I hadn't visited in 30 years.  Loved it,  but mass tourism certainly leaves its mark.  Leica M9,  28 mm elmarit

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Re: The new tourism
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:48:55 am »

So that's Berlin. It looks so - new, and so - just like everywhere else. Those Segways are everywhere - I must try to snap a shot of a small herd of them from Canberra, Australia, preferably with a backdrop of Kangaroos. Thanks for the glimpses.
Ken Cameron

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:28:38 am »

Ken,  it is also,  especially in the former east sector,  a remarkably funky place with squats and punks everywhere,  although the developers are rapidly moving in.  It's probably the cheapest city in Europe,  and I have a lot of good conversations there

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 11:31:26 am »

So that's Berlin. It looks so - new, and so - just like everywhere else. Those Segways are everywhere - I must try to snap a shot of a small herd of them from Canberra, Australia, preferably with a backdrop of Kangaroos. Thanks for the glimpses.

Well, it is pretty new. About 68 years old now. If there hadn't been a war it wouldn't look like everywhere else, but unexpected and unpleasant changes often are the result of hubris.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 11:38:34 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 11:35:18 am »

I really like the one with Darth Vader. I don't know if it's street or just whimsical, but the guide book in the pocket, the Darth Vader, and the memorial statue all together is good stuff.

GEOFFREYJAMES

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:57:51 am »

Andrew,  The "memorial statues"  are mimes! 

amolitor

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:31:41 pm »

Ah! I should have noticed the little box! Actually I did notice it, but dismissed it, and the dolly as well, as curious elements I decided I didn't much care about. How nice to see them, now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up