Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Icicles.  (Read 614 times)

Jaffy

Icicles.
« on: February 18, 2013, 02:57:13 pm »

Someone was asking about icicle photography recently which reminded me of these from a few years ago.
Sun was from my 9 or 10 o'clock and fairly low in the close-up, and from my 5 o'clock and fairly low in the wider view.

RedwoodGuy

Re: Icicles.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:21:57 pm »

Someone was asking about icicle photography recently which reminded me of these from a few years ago.
Sun was from my 9 or 10 o'clock and fairly low in the close-up, and from my 5 o'clock and fairly low in the wider view.
As to the first one, I am really enjoying it. It appears to me that the water in the creek is rendered as long exposure or "feathery water." If it is, this is a great case where it isn't a cheap trick, but rather a fundamental part of a diffuse background, where the subject is obviously the ice cycles. I had suggested to some people that "feathery water" was a cliche in their photo, but here it is not. This is nicely lit and composed and provides a delicious sample of a small scene. And it is a scene that is well composed and articulated. I can't see how this could be better. Thanks for posting this great looking "small scene."

Jaffy

Re: Icicles.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:59:44 pm »

Thanks,
A longer exposure was too smoky looking and shorter made the water look like ice! this was 1/6th sec.
This is at the bottom of a weir on the Exe in the UK and it's rare to be cold enough for this to happen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up