Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Surprisingly excellent results from X-e1 causing me to rethink owning SLR  (Read 5509 times)

Dan Wells

I just got a Fuji X-e1 with zoom and macro lenses to use as a hiking camera (it is much lighter than my D800e, and really increases my potential range)... I made my first prints from it yesterday, and discovered that, at 16x24 inches, I actually preferred the results over my D800e. That wasn't all THAT surprising - the Fujinon lenses are known to be excellent (I prefer the Fuji 18-55 over any other zoom I've used, including the 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, and plenty of reviewers have found that zoom to be a fully competitive pro-level lens), and the resolution shouldn't have all that much of an effect at 16x24, because the Fuji has plenty of resolution for that print size.
     I then decided to be really unfair to the Fuji, and printed 24x36 inches. This thing looks like a compact camera, right? No way it'll do 24x36, right? Well, it did! The prints are a little fuzzier than D800e prints from a distance of 6-8 inches, but not easy to distinguish even from a foot away... They're as good as I got out of a D3x, and I shot that beast for years... The workflow was to convert the raw files in Capture One 7.0.2, then send the 16-bit PSD files (ProPhoto colorspace) over to Lightroom 4 for scaling and output from the excellent print module in Lightroom.
    If I'm getting fully credible high-detail landscape prints at 24x36 inches from this tiny camera, why do I have the Nikon? I don't care about the AF difference - the Fuji is fast enough for me... I'm actually seriously contemplating trading my Nikon gear in for more Fuji equipment - I'd add an X-Pro1 to my bag (I need two bodies if I'm going all x-system, and I like the versatility of having one of each), adding a 14mm wideangle, and perhaps adding a 35 f1.4, mainly for the subject isolation afforded by that maximum aperture!
        What am I missing here? I wonder about dynamic range... Lab tests say it's close, but the D800e (which has superb DR) has a slight edge. Is it really close? I haven't run any sort of serious DR test, although the depth of the shadows in the Fuji prints impressed me. 

ltphoto

Re: Surprisingly excellent results from X-e1 causing me to rethink owning SLR
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 01:53:04 pm »

While not giving up on my DSLR completely, I have mostly converted to the Fuji X-system. I keep the D600 and longer lenses (300f4 and 500f4) for wildlife. For almost everything else I use my X-E1 and a couple of Fuji lenses. The size and weight savings are fantastic. I can now take more than a P&S on a bike ride. The largest I ever print is 24x36 (except one pano at 24x44, but that is three images stitched anyway) and the Fuji quality has been very satisfying.

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:33:05 am »

Interesting to hear. I love hiking and carry a D800E with a 28-300mm on most of my hikes. There have been a lot of times I'd loved to have had something much lighter than what I have. Love the D800E but it and a super zoom is a lot to lug around when you're walking a dozen miles or so..
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:14:43 pm »

I have loved using my X-Pro 1 and have had very similar results. Enough so that I hardly use my Canon gear, which I will still use for the long range shots, etc. It is nice not having to lug a huge amount of heavy gear and still be able to quality prints from the images. I even got a smaller but sturdy tripod, something that will even fit in a suitcase and comes with a ballhead. Nice steady tripod for the X gear, it is a Fotopro C5i.  I got my wife a X-E1 and the zoom lens, and she loves using it, so now it is easier to go on photography jaunts and she is active taking pictures.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

James Clark

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:27:44 am »

Similar experience here, though my portable setup is an NEX7 with a single zoom as opposed to a Fuji kit.   

theguywitha645d

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:47:16 pm »

Pixel resolution is not much of a limit to print size. In order to double the resolution, you need 4X the number of pixels. You only need enough DR for the image you are making. So why do you still have your D800?

The only thing would be what the quality of the format size gives you. But it seem you are a landscape kind of guy and the smaller format does have some advantages there.

A really great camera can only make really great images if you use it. It sounds like you have bonded to the Fuji.

Glenn NK

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 05:37:23 pm »

Thanks to Dan for starting this thread, and the others for adding their experiences.

We have a trip to Europe coming this Aug/Sep, and I'm already dreading the thought of lugging around my gear (I will not ask what lenses to take  ;), so would take all of them and two bodies).  17-55, 24-105, 100 macro, TSE 24, 70-200 f/2.8.  Nasty.

I was considering a 6D (the built-in GPS would be useful to keep track of image locations), but the EX-1 sounds like the answer.

Will check one out at the local shop.  The two zooms would fill the bill nicely for me and won't break the bank.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

mac_paolo

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:24:47 am »

We have a trip to Europe coming this Aug/Sep, and I'm already dreading the thought of lugging around my gear (I will not ask what lenses to take  ;), so would take all of them and two bodies).  17-55, 24-105, 100 macro, TSE 24, 70-200 f/2.8.  Nasty.
The whole european continent in a single trip?  ;D
Sorry, it's just fun we hear you talking about visiting "Europe" :)

Having said that, I had the chance to play a little with those toys. They're good, very good.
Light and well built. The choice to produce a little number of optics, all with a medium to high quality is a winner to me.
They're just quite expensive, yet a very good choice for travels or hikes.
I just don't have the resources to start from scratch with another brand, but if you do, I think you won't be disappointed.

Paolo

Glenn NK

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 06:11:26 pm »

The whole european continent in a single trip?  ;D
Sorry, it's just fun we hear you talking about visiting "Europe" :)

Having said that, I had the chance to play a little with those toys. They're good, very good.
Light and well built. The choice to produce a little number of optics, all with a medium to high quality is a winner to me.
They're just quite expensive, yet a very good choice for travels or hikes.
I just don't have the resources to start from scratch with another brand, but if you do, I think you won't be disappointed.

Paolo

No, not all; Frankfurt, then to Spa for the F-1, and to Paris and return.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources
Pages: [1]   Go Up