Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canoe Point  (Read 1857 times)

garyhill

• Gary Hill Landscape Photography
Canoe Point
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:45:13 am »

My second post to this forum. The attached image is of Canoe Point, which is approx 700m from my house. I had another image in mind when I left the house on this particular morning but found I could not walk past this. I have tried cropping this image a bit tighter but felt this version worked the best. I would welcome other people comments. This image is stitched from 7 photos.

Cheers,

Gary

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Canoe Point
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:32:03 am »

Very nice, Gary, but when you put the title and you ID at the bottom you might want to pull the opacity sliders for the layers to the left a bit. The text sort of overwhelms the picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:25:52 am »

My second post to this forum. The attached image is of Canoe Point, which is approx 700m from my house. I had another image in mind when I left the house on this particular morning but found I could not walk past this. I have tried cropping this image a bit tighter but felt this version worked the best. I would welcome other people comments. This image is stitched from 7 photos.

Cheers,

Gary
This is a nicely done sunrise. The pano framing works well. And right away, I want to ask what did you want to convey here? One of the questions to consider in this type of photograph is that it is so common that there might be millions of them indistinguishable from this one. That might or might not be a problem - depending on your purpose. If you love it for its intrinsic meaning to your neighborhood and your life, then that's all the purpose needed. But, if you were going to try to communicate something to a mass audience in any way, I think they are going to walk up and say mentally, "Yes, I've seen this place many times."

Only you know your purpose of course. Something to think about is how might YOU be able to make a more individual photograph? One expressing some personal point of view that may have nothing to do with the expectations of anyone else for what a good photograph might be? Just a thought.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:25:42 am »

I like how you arranged the clouds to draw our eye into the distance.

Well, my eye at least.

I agree that the text is distracting.

garyhill

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:25 pm »

Thanks for the comments, particularly that some find the text distracting.

Cheers,

Gary

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »

This is a well done, competent panorama.

I particularly like the barrel shape and stacking of the clouds. The image oozes tranquility and solitude and would work perfectly above a couch, in a lobby, boardroom, office, etc. (no pejorative connotation in any of these). Might be a best seller in a local art fair (again, no judgment here). If anything to nitpick, it would be that it verges on being a tad too dark. This of course, depends on the chosen medium (type of print) and accompanying lighting. Without the text, of course.

garyhill

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 06:33:59 am »

Slobodan,

Thank you for the comments. I am slowly trying to build a portfolio of images of my local area to offer for sale. I hope you are right that it may prove popular. Your comment about being a bit dark is something I have agonised over with this photo. I have a tendancy to make my photos too dark in an attempt to chase rich, saturated colours. I am about to order a sample print so time will tell.

Thanks again.

Gary

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »

...I am slowly trying to build a portfolio of images of my local area to offer for sale....

This is very useful to know. I tend to forget that many, if not most, of the images posted here are intended for retail sales. With this new information I think the picture makes complete sense, and I suspect will be very popular at the right price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up