Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: House of Horrors, Porirua, NZ  (Read 1340 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
House of Horrors, Porirua, NZ
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:25:13 am »

For your criticism, please.

I took this shot because of the challenge of getting everything open at the same time. The monster man on the far left moves up and then disappears down, out of sight, and the lid of the spiked casket with the woman inside opens and shuts. But I was also interested in the attendants and the casualness of their attitude in the face of so much going on and so much "horror".

The image was taken in colour but I just sensed it would look good in B+W. I will post a colour version at some stage.

The moving objects are a little unsharp because I had to use 1/30 sec as the whole scene is in shadow and I did not want to go above ISO 100.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

RedwoodGuy

Re: House of Horrors, Porirua, NZ
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:19:04 am »

For your criticism, please.

I took this shot because of the challenge of getting everything open at the same time. The monster man on the far left moves up and then disappears down, out of sight, and the lid of the spiked casket with the woman inside opens and shuts. But I was also interested in the attendants and the casualness of their attitude in the face of so much going on and so much "horror".

The image was taken in colour but I just sensed it would look good in B+W. I will post a colour version at some stage.

The moving objects are a little unsharp because I had to use 1/30 sec as the whole scene is in shadow and I did not want to go above ISO 100.
Roger
I almost missed this fantastic photograph. There is a lot of story telling in here and that makes it interesting. It is also beautifully framed, and has all the right technical characteristics such that one ignores that and moves into the story. Any time you have two people interacting, you have tension, and this is loaded with it. You got the moment and the truth here.

Actually, there is one technical quibble I have about the photo. It exhibits an effect particularly on the whites, which I often see when photos have been over-sharpened. I find it a bit distracting, whatever it is. The white pieces do not look right on my monitor.

Otherwise, I really enjoy it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:28:34 pm »

I enjoy it, too. The whites don't bother me, but otherwise I can agree with RG's comment.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:27 am »

Thank you both for your comments. I find sharpening a mystery and I used 85%; radius 1 and Threshold 4, which I understand is moderate sharpening.

Possibly, the over-sharpening effect occurred when reducing the image for uploading? The image is a crop of a 60MP image and is 48.7MP. I always apply sharpening after flattening and all other work.

Thank you both, again.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:05 am »

... I did not want to go above ISO 100.

What ???

Some kind of new religion?

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:57:42 am »

ISO 100 is not a new religion, Slobodan, but on my back (a Credo 60), grain starts to appear at 200 ISO and gets very bad at the limit of 800 ISO. I know these figures sound quaint compared to what DSLRs offer but that is the reality for medium format digital backs.
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »

... on my back (a Credo 60), grain starts to appear at 200 ISO..

What's a little grain between friends? No grain -- another dogma? This type of shot cries for some grain, actually. Even a lot of.

Besides, horses for courses, MFDB is not exactly a street camera.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 02:15:57 pm »

Thank you both for your comments. I find sharpening a mystery and I used 85%; radius 1 and Threshold 4, which I understand is moderate sharpening.

Possibly, the over-sharpening effect occurred when reducing the image for uploading? The image is a crop of a 60MP image and is 48.7MP. I always apply sharpening after flattening and all other work.

Thank you both, again.
Roger

It probably is an effect associated with screen viewing. First off, I use a common laptop here for looking at these photographs. And secondly, in my experience computer screens enhance color photos beyond their merit and reduce B&W photos below theirs. I am not sure why. On paper, the exact opposite seems to hold. I bet this makes fantastic looking prints. Thanks again. I hope you post more photos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up