Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wildflower blooms in San Diego in March  (Read 2130 times)

chandsa

Wildflower blooms in San Diego in March
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:15:09 am »

Hey folks,

I've been searching these forums for some good locations to indulge in landscape photography. I will have a rental car and will be in the area for about a week, of which i'll have maybe 50% of the time to spend on photography. It seems like some of the popular spots are (within a reasonable driving distance, say within 120 miles, of downtown SD)
  • Joshua Tree National Park - looks like this might not meet the 120 mile limit i'm imposing on myself
  • Anza - Borrego National Park - I think this might be one where I could possibly spend a whole day photographing
  • Torrey Pines State Park - would this be a good spot to catch one of the famed California sunsets?
  • A few locations along the PCH - Oceanside, San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano

Having said this, i'm wondering what would be some good/great locations to photograph the wildflower blooms, especially since I'll be there during the 2nd/3rd week in March? One obvious choice might seem to be the SD Botanical Garden, but besides that are there any "must photograph" locations for wildflower blooms? Anza-Borrego perhaps? If you folks can share your thoughts about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also if there are other ocean side spots where I should catch a sunset, please let me know that as well.

Thanks in advance!

Fred Salamon

Re: Wildflower blooms in San Diego in March
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:25:45 am »

A book I found helpful is Photosecrets - San Diego.
Check Amazon for the newest edition.

chandsa

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:54:59 pm »

A book I found helpful is Photosecrets - San Diego.
Check Amazon for the newest edition.

Thanks for the recommendation Fred! Already on its way!!

Praki

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:36:13 pm »

Went to Anza Borrego three springs ago ... it's a bit hyped up. Some nice Ocatillo but otherwise not worth the drive - so called flowers are mostly small and somewhat sparse. If the rains have been good maybe it's worth a trip.

spreeg

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 05:11:24 pm »

Wildflowers in this area are so hit and miss, some years great, others not, even on a decent year you can have badish days.  I always check this site as it will have updates quite often during wildflower season and lists some of the major spots to check

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html

chandsa

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:24:14 pm »

http://www.desertusa.com/wildflo/ca.html

Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to check for updates just before I leave and perhaps during the time I'm in SD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up