Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: High MP Canon anytime soon?  (Read 220744 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Re: High MP Canon anytime soon?
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 04:07:27 am »

For me it is the other way around. My recent mac needs frequent forced restarts, slows down to a grind at strange times and needs at least as much attention to all kinds of updates as my PCs.

-h
Then something needs fixing, book it in at a guru session they will test it and sort it for free.
I've Mac's and PC's, I much prefer the Macs for a lot of reasons, I have very few issues with them. A PC is like a child, whatever you ask it to do it produces a list of reasons of why not too. The Macs just do it and say "anything else I can help you with Sir".
Kevin.

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 04:43:37 am »

Now do you  see what I mean about Golden Ages?

My 'ancient' XP does exactly what I expect it to do, even if it gets very slow in the mornings, but, like its owner, after coffee break it becomes quite normal again.

I watched a lengthy programme on the BBC last night about Google and the World Library venture. What horrified me most of all was a chap with grey hair and beard who, looking meanly into camera, declared with absolute conviction that authors have no right to copyright on their ideas...

So far, authors seem to have the won the initial legal skirmishes.

What a hideous future for creatives out there; lets just buy shovels and get back to the land.

Rob C

hjulenissen

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 05:12:39 am »

Then something needs fixing, book it in at a guru session they will test it and sort it for free.
I've Mac's and PC's, I much prefer the Macs for a lot of reasons, I have very few issues with them. A PC is like a child, whatever you ask it to do it produces a list of reasons of why not too. The Macs just do it and say "anything else I can help you with Sir".
Then something needs fixing with your PCs. Mine tend to do just what I need them to. After Windows 7 and stricter demands towards driver manufacturers, Windows has been a treat for me. To bad Microsoft did not do this 10-15 years ago when they had the chance for world domination. Now it seems that the mass consumers will go for iPads and Android boxes instead.

-h
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:17:13 am by hjulenissen »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 05:57:06 am »

Then something needs fixing with your PCs. Mine tend to do just what I need them to. After Windows 7 and stricter demands towards driver manufacturers, Windows has been a treat for me. To bad Microsoft did not do this 10-15 years ago when they had the chance for world domination. Now it seems that the mass consumers will go for iPads and Android boxes instead.

MS still very much dominates the world. Besides past issues with win desktop have little to do with the potential market share they did not capture in mobile.

Cheers,
Bernard

hjulenissen

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 07:20:07 am »

MS still very much dominates the world.
In number of licenses, yes. In economic power they are still large. But in "mindshare", no. People largely do not want to have a PC in their home anymore. 60 year olds are using iPads to pay their bills, to surf and to watch family pictures. They are open to doing their work on something else (Photoshop jockeys excluded). Companies are letting people do their work on their own, personal computing devices. That is a big thing.
Besides past issues with win desktop have little to do with the potential market share they did not capture in mobile.

Cheers,
Bernard
What are you saying?

-h

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 07:33:23 am »

What are you saying?

I am saying that even if XP had been as stable/fun/productive as Win7, they would still be in the very same position in the mobile market.

Their problem was not default of quality on desktop, it was lack of investement in mobile.

Just my 2 cent.

Cheers,
Bernard

dmerger

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:20 am »

I watched a lengthy programme on the BBC last night about Google and the World Library venture. What horrified me most of all was a chap with grey hair and beard who, looking meanly into camera, declared with absolute conviction that authors have no right to copyright on their ideas...

So far, authors seem to have the won the initial legal skirmishes.

“Copyright does not cover ideas and information themselves, only the form or manner in which they are expressed.  …  Copyright laws are standardized somewhat through international conventions such as the Berne Convention and Universal Copyright Convention. These multilateral treaties have been ratified by nearly all countries, and international organizations such as the European Union or World Trade Organization require their member states to comply with them.”  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Scope

Rob, maybe you’re correct for some parts of the world (but I doubt it), but you’re wrong about copyrights in the U.S. and likely most of the world.  This concept is Copyright 101 (or even more basic if there is such a thing).  So, given your reaction, maybe that guy had reason to look so mean.   ;)
Dean Erger

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:06 pm »

Rob, maybe you’re correct for some parts of the world (but I doubt it), but you’re wrong about copyrights in the U.S. and likely most of the world.  This concept is Copyright 101 (or even more basic if there is such a thing).  So, given your reaction, maybe that guy had reason to look so mean.   ;)

I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength: are you saying that an author doesn't have copyright to his plot, story and use of words?

If not, what's left to defend?

Rob C

dmerger

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 01:58:19 pm »

I think it’s clear that we’re not on the same wavelength. :)  What I said is that copyright does not cover ideas themselves, only the form or manner in which they are expressed.  If you’re really interested, you can easily find more information, and the answer to your questions, with a quick Google search.  I don't think we need sidetrack this thread any further. If you still want to pursue a discussion about copyright of ideas, however, perhaps you can start a new thread.   
Dean Erger

MrSmith

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 02:29:04 pm »

A High MPixel body while a way of keeping a few pro's in the lens buying loop is hardly the arbiter of canons financial health or market share. The best seller lists are all made up of cheaper crop format bodies and the 5D III just gets in to the top ten, the d800 just outside it. I doubt there's a panic to get it to market and thus save the company.
It will be here at some point, I'll not be crying into my beige action vest if has a stop less DR or is slightly more expensive than the 'competition'

MrSmith

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 05:17:52 pm »

Looks a bit like this:

Doesn't every photographer have one? ;D

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 05:47:26 pm »

Thread title says it all.

When you look into those crystal balls do you see any hope that Canon will introduce a high MP camera to rival the Nikon D800 anytime soon?

I am loving my D800E so who cares if Canon sort of try to catch up - well at least I don't as I have no investment in Canon glass but my Hasselblad stuff is getting kind of dusty.
David Watson ARPS

stamper

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 04:43:34 am »

Looks a bit like this:

Doesn't every photographer have one? ;D
;D

Ideal for street photography. You will blend in well?

pwatkins

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 09:07:54 pm »

Hmm.  I see this sentiment from Canon users as more of a keening cry than a rumor.  At least would be if it came from me.

--Paul
Paul Watkins

DanLehman

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2013, 02:25:41 pm »

Quote from the owner of this site, Michael Reichmann, (September 2012).

Medium format backs and cameras used to be where one went for ultimate image quality, especially for high pixel count and wide dynamic range. But the 36 Megapixel Nikon D800 and D800e have thrown that equation into a cocked hat, and now there are rumours of a 46 Megapixel Canon later this year or early next (these rumours are likely true).

The issue of DR has been an interesting one to follow.
Here, over some 3 years [2009-02-04] prior to the above assertion
comes something sounding quite different, IMO:
[ www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=31786.0
 Roman Johnson's OP:  "Quick Question, Michael, about D3X and P65+ DR" ]

Since you have some experience with both.
I see Thom Hogan reporting about 10 stops of usable DR in the D3X files he has worked
with on his test machine.  I see Phase One reporting 12.5 usable stops of DR with the P65+
camera you're testing....and of course the DXO numbers are what they are.

I know you're not an exhaustive tester like DXO or other sites, but in your normal use,
how would you describe the diffrences between the DR of the two cameras from a visual standpoint?

Roman

[MR replies : ]
| No, not in any objective way.  Of all the metrics DR is the hardest to quantify.
| It's very difficult to test and varies depending on a number of variables
| which I am not comfortable in quantifying.
|
| I doubt that anyone could see a noticeable difference between the two though in real world shooting.
|
  [ Yet a year later there came the infamous assertion of not only seeing
    a noticeable difference, but seeing it at ~10 paces in small prints!  :o ]
|
| At base ISO most top-end cameras now are displaying about 12 stops of DR.

. . .  rumors & ruminations  . . .

--dl*
====
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up