Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last year trip.  (Read 1525 times)

Sanggay

Last year trip.
« on: February 16, 2013, 09:02:31 am »

A few photos from my last year trip to Langkawi Island which is located in the northern of Malaysia.

1. Sunset at a busy beach.

2. Morning jog at a beach.

3. Feeding a Macaw at Bird Park.

4. A fisherman walking to his boat.

5. Island.

RedwoodGuy

Re: Last year trip.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 09:37:01 am »

A few photos from my last year trip to Langkawi Island which is located in the northern of Malaysia.

1. Sunset at a busy beach.

I think the first one is the most interesting and has the most impact. Of course it is a nice sunset, but that's only the beginning. The silhouetted lineup on the beach shore is fun to pan through. You've framed it in a very effective way to maximize the clouds probably, but in doing that, you created a great horizontal band along the bottom with those figures. If you remove that strip, it's a generic sunset that we've seen a million times. With that band, you have transformed the mundane into the interesting. By keeping it way to the bottom, you also avoid any pointless foreground of sands. Well done!

Sanggay

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 06:28:38 pm »

I think the first one is the most interesting and has the most impact. Of course it is a nice sunset, but that's only the beginning. The silhouetted lineup on the beach shore is fun to pan through. You've framed it in a very effective way to maximize the clouds probably, but in doing that, you created a great horizontal band along the bottom with those figures. If you remove that strip, it's a generic sunset that we've seen a million times. With that band, you have transformed the mundane into the interesting. By keeping it way to the bottom, you also avoid any pointless foreground of sands. Well done!

Thanks for the feedback.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:32:44 am »

That's a great sky, but I agree about the foreground.  I'd probably darken the foreground a bit more to make it a true black 'paper cutout' of the silhouette and to stand off the background.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

francois

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:34:53 am »

The first image is outstanding and I would try Mike's suggestion and see if something is improved.
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:50:45 am »

+1.

I think #5 would be even more pleasing without the beach at the bottom.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:15:51 am »

+2
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Sanggay

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 03:40:33 am »

Since the 1st photo is the best among the 5, here I post another version of the same sunset. Your thoughts?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 09:47:24 am »

Since the 1st photo is the best among the 5, here I post another version of the same sunset. Your thoughts?
I don't think it has anywhere near the same impact. The POV through the palm fronds is distracting rather than framing the scene. Colors are beautiful.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 09:50:50 am »

With regard to Image 5, Island. This has potential with the soothing colors, however, I would have included some more of that "pointless" beach sand (RG- ;)) in the foreground to give the photo more depth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up