Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop is a city for everyone  (Read 8531 times)

Rob C

Re: Photoshop is a city for everyone
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 03:05:15 pm »

Damn it, Rob! Forget about PS and switch already to the only tool a photographer like you needs: Lightroom.

I keep upgrading by inertia: I processed exactly 1 (one) photograph in CS4 (at least a major photograph, and as much I can remember -- which by itself says a lot: if I can't remember, it probably either did not happen or does not really matter). I then upgraded to CS5 as Adobe threatened to shorten the generation you can upgrade from to one: I NEVER EVEN OPENED CS5, and CS6 was there. I upgraded to it and, yes, opened it, but have not processed a single major photograph in it yet. There you go: why would you have to learn from your own mistakes, when you can learn from mine?

Hi,

I am of the belief that only Photoshop allows the use of Layers. I could be totally mistaken, and I repeat that my concern at the moment is for when the current XP machine flops onto its back, legs up in the air, but dead. Obviously, being of normal disposition, I shall simply have to walk away.

I’m not really at all in love with computers and programmes and stuff like that; I use PS6 because it does all I need or can think of needing, and as a consequence I just don’t read up on new stuff very often, so perhaps there are other systems out there that do Layers etc. but I also know that I’m a pretty slow learner at things such as Photoshop and learning curves aren’t things I approach with love. Were there courses available where I could see what's being done and ask questions in real time, it would be a different matter. Basically, that’s why I was so in love with the film version of photography: I found it extremely easy to bend to my needs and it just didn’t cause me any anxiety at all, which digital usually has with each new phase.

However, something that Isaac has just written offers a novel prospect: my other computer, this one on which I do my Internet travels, is Vista, so if the worst comes to the worst, it could move sideways across the bench…  

Thanks for you collective concerns, anyhow; I realise that I must be quite a technically frustrating prospect at times, but that’s the nature of the lad. I use ‘lad’ in a tongue-in-cheek way, as you no doubt guessed.

;-)

Rob C

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:06:49 pm by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 05:29:52 pm »

Just to clarify: for your type of photography, and frankly, for 95% of photographs, layers are not necessary. In Lightroom, there are several other options that achieve practically the same result.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:41 pm »

Just to clarify: for your type of photography, and frankly, for 95% of photographs, layers are not necessary. In Lightroom, there are several other options that achieve practically the same result.
SB said it more genteely than I was about to. I was going to say, "We don't need no stinkin' layers!!!"  :)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:18 pm »

I've been using Photoshop since 1997 (Version 3) in my job as an illustrator. Yes we need layers and you can do great things with them. Although it is called photoshop it is more of a tool for graphic artists and illustrators. I worked alongside David Stanley whose website Whimsical Wood is a testament to the statement 'Photoshop is a city for everyone'. If you are using Photoshop just for photography you are only using a fraction of what it is capable of in the right hands.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 03:24:35 am »

I am of the belief that only Photoshop allows the use of Layers. I could be totally mistaken,
You are. Most modern image editors have layer options.

Why you make such silly, ill informed comments when you've spent so much time here beats me. It's not clever to pretend to live in the past.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2013, 04:38:07 am »

Why you make such silly, ill informed comments when you've spent so much time here beats me. It's not clever to pretend to live in the past.

I ask you the same question. My comment is real, and a true representation of my interest in computers and allied games. I am not interested in the latest and greatest toys; you should be able to accept that some people do actually prefer to think about images rather than programmes.

Frankly, I find your post gratuitously hurtful.

Thanks for nothing.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 11:34:44 am »

Now you really got me mad. If I have a natural predisposition to anything, it would be against stupidity.

There was nothing wrong in Rob's reply. He replied in the context of my question. The question which mentioned ONLY TWO PRODUCTS in this world: PS and LR. In that context, between those two products, it is absolutely correct to state that only PS has layers.

Why you make such silly, ill informed comments when your mother tongue is English beats me. But then again, English doesn't come with Logic 101, does it now?

??? ??? ???

Rob C

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2013, 02:02:37 pm »

Now that's touché, I think!

Also shows that one can sometimes be right, even when from a position of simply knowing no better...

;-)

Rob C

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 07:22:13 pm »

Now that's touché, I think!

Also shows that one can sometimes be right, even when from a position of simply knowing no better...

;-)

Rob C

Rob,

Adobe used to give away older but fully working versions of PS on magazine front cover disks, at least up to PS7 back in 1999 if I remember correctly. I am also fairly sure that PS7 will run on Vista and there must be sites out there that still have copies of these legitamely free versions you can access.

Dave

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 06:11:55 am »

Rob,

Adobe used to give away older but fully working versions of PS on magazine front cover disks, at least up to PS7 back in 1999 if I remember correctly. I am also fairly sure that PS7 will run on Vista and there must be sites out there that still have copies of these legitamely free versions you can access.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Now that's a thunderbolt! I never imagined Adobe would be doing anything like that - maybe they understood before the rest of us that licensing updates would turn out to be very lucrative, especially as the price of buying into a totally new PS from scratch would be so high. I say 'so high' but that's from the point of view of a retired person with dwindling resources about to dwindle even further as the pound plummets against the lousy Euro! I find that incredible: 24% unemployment in mainland Spain, and over 60% every winter on the Balearics... families living off soup kitchens, many cases of suicide because of mortgage default and eviction... Italy with no government that isn't either part of the mafia or of the looney left; Greece so sick it's already a forgotten basket case with Portugal helping carry the basket, but it's the quid that dives!

Oh well - c'est la vie, as I find myself having to say so often these days!

Ciao -

Rob C

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 09:21:32 am »

Adobe used to give away older but fully working versions of PS on magazine front cover disks, at least up to PS7 back in 1999 if I remember correctly.
I'm sure you're wrong.
I've never seen a fully working version of Photoshop on any magazine cover disk in the UK.
They possibly put the trial versions on for a while back around PS 5/6/7.
They also bundled(so not really free) Photoshop LE, a cut down version of PS3, with various products in the late 90s too. This was the precursor to PS Elements and for a long time was a slightly cheaper upgrade route to a full version.

The closest thing to a "free version of Photoshop" being offered anywhere has been the recent chaos of openly publishing serial numbers for CS2. This was down to the Adobe shutting down the authentication servers for CS2 leaving CS2 licence holders unable to use new installations of that version, so a serial number that works without authentication was released. Some people took that to mean CS2 was being released for free, which promptly went viral on the net, but it's only meant for existing licence holders.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2013, 06:23:31 pm »

I'm sure you're wrong.
I've never seen a fully working version of Photoshop on any magazine cover disk in the UK.
They possibly put the trial versions on for a while back around PS 5/6/7.
They also bundled(so not really free) Photoshop LE, a cut down version of PS3, with various products in the late 90s too. This was the precursor to PS Elements and for a long time was a slightly cheaper upgrade route to a full version.

The closest thing to a "free version of Photoshop" being offered anywhere has been the recent chaos of openly publishing serial numbers for CS2. This was down to the Adobe shutting down the authentication servers for CS2 leaving CS2 licence holders unable to use new installations of that version, so a serial number that works without authentication was released. Some people took that to mean CS2 was being released for free, which promptly went viral on the net, but it's only meant for existing licence holders.

I can only tell it as I remember it, but maybe you are right and perhaps it was an earlier version than PS7 I am referring to, but I do definitely remember there was a magazine front cover disk freebie. It probably also needed internet authentication etc, but it was a fully working version of Photoshop.

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up