Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Lenses for D800 - where's the weak link?  (Read 62556 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Lenses for D800 - where's the weak link?
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2013, 10:58:42 am »

1. Because finding nodal points, etc. is a pain, and because pano rigs tend to be big and cumbersome to set up.

2. Because sometimes the stitching process for a spherical pano just fails and you can't put the image together. I've never had a shifted pano fail to stitch.

3. Because you can't easily use filters with a spherical pano, since the lens moves. When doing a shifted pano, you can use graduated ND filters (useful if there's a moving object in one part of the scene) and polarisers.

4. Because, even if the centre of a prime is sharper than the corners of a tilt-shift lens, the distortion induced by correcting the spherical pano into a rectilinear projection will make the corners of the final image worse than the corners of a shifted image, when you're dealing with the wider focal lengths.

1. Euh not really. Finding the nodal point of a lens is a simple process performed only once. Pano heads are a bit bulky, but the good ones fold into a compact package. By the way the pano above was done without a pano head, not that I would recommend this as a best practise,

2. Never happened to me after thousands of spherical panos, not a single time. When using pano heads I also don't remember many occurences where blending issues occured, just a few with sea scenes at fast shutter speeds (zero issues when using slow shutter speeds obviously),

3. I can relate to what you are saying only for neutral grads if you do multi-rows panos... but I don't see any need for those filters in the first place with modern cameras like the D800. PL is not an issue, at least no more than with other wide angle options (meaning mostly a bad idea). But spherical pano has major advantages with flare control when using filters since the longer lens you are using typically have more protective hoods, this is also a major value when shooting in the rain for example,

4. Not with modern software like PT gui. There is of course an angular coverage beyond which a planar projection becomes impossible, but the information available on the faceted surface of the sphere of a mosaic stitch is not significantly less in the corners vs the center compared to the mosaic after projection on a plane. What is less, of course, is the amount of pixels available to cover the same angular section of the scene in the corners vs the center... but that is exactly the same with a single lens. If you haven't I encourage you to do this test by yourself, a 24mm is a good candidate.

So, I am sorry, but I am still not convinced.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 06:01:35 pm by BernardLanguillier »

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2013, 02:55:14 pm »

I would like to recommend this wonderful lens. The 85mm 1.8 G.
This portrait of my daughter, done at f/8 with studio flash.

100% view.

ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2013, 11:36:18 pm »

Turns out that Nikon 60mm AF-S F2.8 on D800e delivers superb results in real life shots.
I used it through the entire studio session today and areas in focus are sharp to my full satisfaction!

A couple of issues with this lens on D800e -
1. sometimes camera/lens combo cannot focus at a farther distance and requires a retry or a quick manual turn of the focus ring.
2. the slightly out of focus high contrast edges show color fringing. this effect can get prominent, but easily curable using defringing tool in RawTherapee/ ACR

FredBGG

« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2013, 01:06:11 am »

Turns out that Nikon 60mm AF-S F2.8 on D800e delivers superb results in real life shots.
I used it through the entire studio session today and areas in focus are sharp to my full satisfaction!

A couple of issues with this lens on D800e -
1. sometimes camera/lens combo cannot focus at a farther distance and requires a retry or a quick manual turn of the focus ring.
2. the slightly out of focus high contrast edges show color fringing. this effect can get prominent, but easily curable using defringing tool in RawTherapee/ ACR

Out of curiosity can the AF-S cover the 5x4 crop the D800 does?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2013, 02:02:55 am »

Out of curiosity can the AF-S cover the 5x4 crop the D800 does?

The 60 mm AF-S 2.8 is an FX lens, so it does.

Regards

Enchanter

« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2013, 03:57:06 am »

Very nice portrait ACH DIGITAL.
Wellington, New Zealand

shadowblade

« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2013, 08:59:20 am »

1. Euh not really. Finding the nodal point of a lens is a simple process performed only once. Pano heads are a bit bulky, but the good ones fold into a compact package. By the way the pano above was done without a pano head, not that I would recommend this as a best practise,

2. Never happened to me after thousands of spherical panos, not a single time. When using pano heads I also don't remember many occurences where blending issues occured, just a few with sea scenes at fast shutter speeds (zero issues when using slow shutter speeds obviously),

Actually, this is the reason I switched to doing panos with a tilt-shift lens in the first place - after a trip to Mongolia, I ended up with too many spherical panos that Photoshop just wouldn't stitch properly.

3. I can relate to what you are saying only for neutral grads if you do multi-rows panos... but I don't see any need for those filters in the first place with modern cameras like the D800. PL is not an issue, at least no more than with other wide angle options (meaning mostly a bad idea). But spherical pano has major advantages with flare control when using filters since the longer lens you are using typically have more protective hoods, this is also a major value when shooting in the rain for example,

A lot of scenes still have enough dynamic range to benefit greatly from either a ND grad or HDR/image blending - and, by using a ND grad, you end up with half or one-third as many images to deal with later.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2013, 10:03:51 am »

Actually, this is the reason I switched to doing panos with a tilt-shift lens in the first place - after a trip to Mongolia, I ended up with too many spherical panos that Photoshop just wouldn't stitch properly.

A lot of scenes still have enough dynamic range to benefit greatly from either a ND grad or HDR/image blending - and, by using a ND grad, you end up with half or one-third as many images to deal with later.

PS has progressed since CS6, but it remains a pretty average stitcher, you may want to try Autopano pro or PTGui Pro on your Mongolia images. Unless there was a serious issue at capture they should solve you problems.

I haven't felt the need to use a ND grad a single time since I started to use the D3x 4 years ago. What do you shoot with if I may ask?

Cheers,
Bernard

LKaven

« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2013, 04:53:03 pm »

And it has extremely low distortion, around 0.1%, making it a favorite among some fashion shooters.  This lens excels in the mid-far field as well, on a par with the top Nikon pro glass (24-70, 70-200). 

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2013, 07:41:30 pm »

I don't use my D800E and 24mm PC-E tilt shift for panos.  I use a very compact system comprising a Sigma dP2m and nodal ninja III compact pano head and lightweight tripod.  This is properly set up with accurate nodal point andI have yet to have an issue with stitching using PT GUI pro.   The results are in the 10x 8 league for resolution.  There is simply little reason to go to the hassle of using heavier and more complex kit for panoramas,  great though the D800 is for all other purposes.

Howver I have looked at this intriguing device

http://www.nikonschool.it/experience/jumbo-mbs2.php

Google translate link

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&tl=en&u=http://www.nikonschool.it/experience/jumbo-mbs2.php

Anyone try it?

Quentin
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:51:37 pm by Quentin »
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »

I don't use my D800E and 24mm PC-E tilt shift for panos.  I use a very compact system comprising a Sigma dP2m and nodal ninja III compact pano head and lightweight tripod.  This is properly set up with accurate nodal point andI have yet to have an issue with stitching using PT GUI pro.   The results are in the 10x 8 league for resolution.

Yep, the DPm series camera are great for stitching also.

I still prefer the DR of the D800 though. I find this to be often key for wide panos shot with 50mm lenses because of the variety of light levels often present in the scene.

Cheers,
Bernard

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2013, 09:42:04 pm »

Maybe somebody should finally make a nice cheap F8 lens.

Edmund

I would like to recommend this wonderful lens. The 85mm 1.8 G.
This portrait of my daughter, done at f/8 with studio flash.

100% view.

ACH
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

photodan

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2013, 01:34:02 pm »

Maybe somebody should finally make a nice cheap F8 lens.

Edmund

I'll second that thought in spirit so to speak. I'd like to see autofocus single focal length lenses (say at at least from 35mm to 200mm) with a max aperture of around f/2.8 - on the assumption that they could be economically designed and produced with high quality control (economically meaning not much more expensive than the current f/2 f/1.8 variants and less expensive than the f/1.4 variants) to:
(a) no focus shift
(b) negligible CA at all apertures 
(c) negligible purple fringing at all apertures
(d) negligible distortion
(e) resolution across almost the entire image plane that makes full use of high mp cameras such as the D800/E
(f) very smooth bokeh
(g) microcontrast similar to Zeiss lenses

It really ticks me off that I can't find a such a lens for the D800E I have. I think I've tried them all in my favorite focal length range. What do I see out there for example is a bunch of recent 35mm f/1.4 lenses that fail in most of the categories and old f/2 designs that fail as well. Apparently there's not much of a market for lenses that I would like best.  I am aware of procedural and software workarounds for some of the issues but they are compromises.  I spent a ton of money on the D800E and lenses (bought and sold for the most part) and what I get for that investment is excellent dynamic range and color, but just slightly more effective resolution than the 20-24mp cameras. 

AFairley

« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2013, 07:07:25 pm »

I'll second that thought in spirit so to speak. I'd like to see autofocus single focal length lenses (say at at least from 35mm to 200mm) with a max aperture of around f/2.8 - on the assumption that they could be economically designed and produced with high quality control (economically meaning not much more expensive than the current f/2 f/1.8 variants and less expensive than the f/1.4 variants)

+1  This a major gripe of mine.  Since my usual shooting aperture is f8, I do not need blazing speed, particularly at the expense of performance across the frame. The weight and expense of the f1.4 lenses is just waste to me. 

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2013, 07:56:49 pm »

(a) no focus shift
(b) negligible CA at all apertures 
(c) negligible purple fringing at all apertures
(d) negligible distortion
(e) resolution across almost the entire image plane that makes full use of high mp cameras such as the D800/E
(f) very smooth bokeh
(g) microcontrast similar to Zeiss lenses

It really ticks me off that I can't find a such a lens for the D800E I have.

Have you tried the 28 and 85mm f1.8?

Seems to me that these 2 are by far the closest ever to what you are suggesting. Image quality is mind boggling and price is cheap.

Cheers,
Bernard

jwstl

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:50 pm »

I wouldn't say the Sigma 35 1.4 "fails in most categories". I'm not sure it fails in any category. I haven't used it on an FX body-ordering a D800E this week-but I have no doubt it will shine. It's as good as the reviews say.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2013, 08:34:14 pm »

I wouldn't say the Sigma 35 1.4 "fails in most categories". I'm not sure it fails in any category. I haven't used it on an FX body-ordering a D800E this week-but I have no doubt it will shine. It's as good as the reviews say.

It shines.   ;D

On my D800E it is simply outstanding.  Pin sharp wide open, one if the finest prime lenses I have used.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Ken R

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2013, 09:34:25 pm »

I did a pretty thorough real world landscape photo test with the D800E and the 5D mark III using some of the best wide angles lenses available. On the Nikon I used the new Zeiss 15mm, the 14-24mm and the 24 PC-E. On the Canon i used the 24mm TSE II and the 14mm L II. Besides looking at images on my monitor and posting crops I printed the images 20x30in and crops from 40x60in prints (on 20x30in since thats the larges I could print locally)

I posted it here: LINK

Look at all the pages of the thread because I kept posting through it.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2013, 09:47:22 pm »

It shines.   ;D

On my D800E it is simply outstanding.  Pin sharp wide open, one if the finest prime lenses I have used.

I have to agree, it is an impressive lens. I had the chance to use it on the D800 last night during the wedding reception of a friend, very impressed with every aspect of it, starting with the AF that worked overall better than that of my trusted 85mm f1.4 AF-S...

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2013, 09:35:12 am »

Hi,

Just a small note, don't forget about sharpening. Different lens/sensor combos need different sharpening. The Canon 5DIII has a OLP filter and that means that it needs more sharpening than the Nikon D800E which has a disabled OLP filter or the Pentax 645D that has none.

You could try my sharpening recipe in LR4, see below.

Best regards
Erik

I did a pretty thorough real world landscape photo test with the D800E and the 5D mark III using some of the best wide angles lenses available. On the Nikon I used the new Zeiss 15mm, the 14-24mm and the 24 PC-E. On the Canon i used the 24mm TSE II and the 14mm L II. Besides looking at images on my monitor and posting crops I printed the images 20x30in and crops from 40x60in prints (on 20x30in since thats the larges I could print locally)

I posted it here: LINK

Look at all the pages of the thread because I kept posting through it.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up