Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIELDS OF GOLD  (Read 999 times)

cjogo

FIELDS OF GOLD
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:12 pm »

Southern France --early morning walk to the vines ..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:57:32 pm by cjogo »

RedwoodGuy

Re: Fileds of Gold
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:52:24 pm »

Southern France --early morning walk to the vines ..
I like this as a subject and I like the framing of the image. There's a good idea behind this. I didn't find enough in it though to hold much interest. The downside of using lead-ins to the center of a photo, is that the viewer expects a pay day down there. I didn't find one. I didn't find the picker or peasant bending over the field, or the wheel barrow or such. That doesn't mean it is wrong, it's a nice view of the field, but a little vacant for my taste having seen so many vineyards.

When I expanded the photograph on my screen it looked very bitty, or grainy or something like that. I didn't get that expressive tonality of B&W. Might be my screen, or maybe something in the photograph, I don't know. I didn't find that it added anything of interest to the photo.

cjogo

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:19:32 pm »

That graininess is most probably >   asa 400 film scanned .  The sharper the scanner : the more it seems to reveal all the flaws : you would never see from a  direct print in the darkroom situation.  

I guess I only saw the horizontal lines converging with verticals -- no real down the path focused point.  For the galleries : I painstakingly tried to avoid all people .. doesn't sell in my market.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:23:01 pm by cjogo »

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »

Maybe a little cropping is called for  ;)

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »

Maybe a little cropping is called for  ;)
My apologies. I did forget that you are selling these and want to know how they would do in the store. OK - - I forgot - sorry.
Yes, this probably would sell well in the stores. I think the grain might even add an aire of authenticity to it. I think it really serves well. In the future, I will critique based on your sales interest. Good show.

nemo295

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:41:46 pm »

If I had to guess I'd say that was somewhere in the Languedoc region.

cjogo

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 03:51:29 pm »

LEOGNAN  -- just  South of Bordeaux  --Pessac

cjogo

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »

My apologies. I did forget that you are selling these and want to know how they would do in the store. OK - - I forgot - sorry.
Yes, this probably would sell well in the stores. I think the grain might even add an aire of authenticity to it. I think it really serves well. In the future, I will critique based on your sales interest. Good show.

Please ``` all comments welcomed ~!!  The grain has been the most unwelcomed part of scanning & the delivery of a print .  You want them sharp but, the scanner does not miss a spot.  The average spotting of an image is = 45 minutes.  One click of the clone tool * at a a time.

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 03:55:58 pm »

It's not really working for me. Vineyards are ever so tempting, but I've never been able to make much of them. It's like photos or graffiti or abandoned buildings, one feels there ought to be an image in here, and a darn good one, but everything one shoots is just junk. This isn't junk, per se, it's a jolly good effort at a hard subject, but I can't find anything to love in it.

In the original, the wires in the background are a bit jarring, and the crop is simply too tight for me.

If you don't want to give up on it, try a less harsh contrast. This sort of subject seems to to well with a softer more pictorial feeling, and maybe you can go someplace good with that.

cjogo

Re: FIELDS OF GOLD
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »

Probably was a better color image  >> this one on the way to the fields ...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 02:16:13 pm by cjogo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up