Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 4 Import Problem  (Read 2037 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Lightroom 4 Import Problem
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:37:09 am »

I am having a problem importing photos into my regular LR 4 catalog.
In the past when something like this has happened, I seem to recall that it took something simple to fix, like trashing the preference file or repairing disk permissions. I have done those things and optimized the catalog, with no luck.

I know there is nothing wrong with the files because I was able to import them into a new LR4 catalog that was inadvertently created after I trashed the preference file.

By the way, I would like to know why, after I trashed the preference file and restarted LR4,  LR 4 created a new LR4 catalog in a different location from my existing LR 4 catalog, as well as incorporated my LR 3 catalog (I still have LR 3 on my computer as well) into this new LR 4 catalog.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom 4 Import Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 01:46:19 am »

What is the problem importing? What error messages?

David Eichler

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 01:50:59 am »

What is the problem importing? What error messages?

Could not copy the files to the requested location. Tried importing from the flash card and from a folder on my computer. Same result.

David Eichler

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:11:39 am »

Never mind. Looks like the import destination got changed. Can't remember doing that. Anyway. Duh.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:57 am »

By the way, I would like to know why, after I trashed the preference file and restarted LR4,  LR 4 created a new LR4 catalog in a different location from my existing LR 4 catalog, as well as incorporated my LR 3 catalog (I still have LR 3 on my computer as well) into this new LR 4 catalog.
The most recently-used catalogue file is recorded in the LR4 or Lr3 preferences file, so destroying it means that when you restart LR you will be presented with a dialog box as if you have just begun LR4 and it has discovered the Lr3 preferences. So it'll ask you to upgrade the most recent Lr3 catalogue or create a new catalogue in the default location, which is what you must have chosen. There is also a Choose button which you must have overlooked. It would have been easier to have double clicked your LR4 catalogue to restart LR.

Incidentally, in my view people are too quick to recommend destroying the preference file. Corrupt preference files are more of a Mac problem, and I wouldn't expect them to be a problem in Import. It's usually user error ;)

John Caldwell

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:18:54 pm »

Since it's always operator error at my house, I've become a believer in writing and using import presets. Specifying the destination within the preset avoids some of these head bonks.

John-

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 01:54:55 am »

The most recently-used catalogue file is recorded in the LR4 or Lr3 preferences file, so destroying it means that when you restart LR you will be presented with a dialog box as if you have just begun LR4 and it has discovered the Lr3 preferences. So it'll ask you to upgrade the most recent Lr3 catalogue or create a new catalogue in the default location, which is what you must have chosen. There is also a Choose button which you must have overlooked. It would have been easier to have double clicked your LR4 catalogue to restart LR.

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, holding down the Alt/Opt key when starting LR will bring up a dialogue box asking you wish catalogue you want to open.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up