Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In search of the best of the best Card-reader, price does not matter  (Read 6326 times)

julienlanoo

Hi,
I am a bit fed up, with failing card readers, or erros while reading my cf's,

So any tips on the "best" of the "best" card reader, for quite heavy use, ?.. Untill now CF but if it can read some thing else Good, or even if there are 2: 1 cf and 1 SD That's fine..

I just want the best of the best, i don't realy care about the price on this, as i've bought many Firewire 800's and USB readers, i would like ONE now that is a workhorse and i can trust.. ( even if it's 500 euros or more..) Just The best one!!

Not the fastest one, not the cheapest one, the MOST reliable .. 

Thanks ju ..

Sheldon N

Re: In search of the best of the best Card-reader, price does not matter
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:20 pm »

My Lexar USB 3.0 card reader with Lexar 1000x CF cards is unreal fast and has been 100% reliable. I used a Lexar USB 2.0 card reader for years before that with no issues. Simple, relatively inexpensive, and fast.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:54:31 pm »

+1 on the Lexar USB 3.0 reader. I've never had a failure.

David S

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 08:52:09 am »

Lexar USB 3 reader works well for me on a Mac Pro with USB 3 card.

Faster than the Lexar Firewire reader I had in the past.

Dave S

Petrus

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:49:20 am »

Remember to use only a Crystal Clear USB PhotoClear cable to transfer the files, starting at $899.95. Adds 1.9 stops of dynamic range, gives deeper colors with wider gamut and there is less noise in the shadows. Like peeling a layer of cheesecloth from the pictures. I have been using them for years now and they really have elevated my art beyond belief.

Oops, I thought this was an audio site...

;D 

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 02:34:07 pm »

Remember to use only a Crystal Clear USB PhotoClear cable to transfer the files, starting at $899.95. Adds 1.9 stops of dynamic range, gives deeper colors with wider gamut and there is less noise in the shadows. Like peeling a layer of cheesecloth from the pictures. I have been using them for years now and they really have elevated my art beyond belief.

I can't believe you omitted the most important bit: always turn anti-clockwise three times before uploading and always face south.

Jeremy

jrsforums

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 02:42:29 pm »

I can't believe you omitted the most important bit: always turn anti-clockwise three times before uploading and always face south.

Jeremy

...and don't forget the little magic discs which need to be strategically spaced...
John

David S

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:12 pm »

In spite of the audio comments, the Lexar USB 3 card reader does in fact work well and without any noise.

Of course gold plated contacts and special cables of treated silver and copper are also necessary!

Dave S

javascript:void(0);
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:23:52 pm by David S »

Petrus

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 04:33:06 pm »

In spite of the audio comments, the Lexar USB 3 card reader does in fact work well and without any noise.

I have had a number of card readers fail on me. Good to know there are actually also good ones.

I was making fun of audio freaks, not people wanting to find a reliable card reader.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:18:06 pm »

Since price is no issue, I suggest a MacBookPro Retina - the best SD Card reader I have ever used  ;D

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 07:05:59 am »

I was making fun of audio freaks, not people wanting to find a reliable card reader.

And, having been one of the former in the past, I was joining in. I look back and wonder how I fell for all that nonsense.

Jeremy

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 07:53:57 am »

And here's a fine selection of things audio to blow TONS of money on!!   http://www.thecableco.com/default.aspx
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 02:10:16 pm »

Since price is no issue, I suggest a MacBookPro Retina - the best SD Card reader I have ever used  ;D
Except the OP wants a CF card reader.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 03:04:28 pm »

And here's a fine selection of things audio to blow TONS of money on!!   http://www.thecableco.com/default.aspx

Ah yes, that brings the memories flooding back. Ten thousand bucks for a pair of speaker cables. Even in my maddest audiophile moments, I'd have thought that was ridiculous (I hope).

Jeremy

Petrus

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 03:56:43 pm »

Most ridiculous are data cables (HDMI) costing thousands, and CD transports (just the data reader) costing tens of thousands, when all PCs make do with $20 DVD drives which also can write disks... Bit perfect. If $20000 CD spinners really make a big difference, think about the quality improvement they would bring to photographs, Word files, building blueprints and bank statements! The difference is that with pictures (and videos) it is easy to compare side by side, or just compare files for identical content and see no difference, but with audio you must compare with faulty memory, easily influenced by brand, peer pressure, wishful thinking etc. Thence the ten thousand dollar cables, shakti stones and cones for the cd-players. An audiophool is born every minute. Technical ignorance seems also be more common among audio enthusiasts than among photographers.

Derryck

• http://www.derryckmenere.com
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 08:54:45 am »

I've just switched over to using SD cards in my 5D3 for the very reason that my Lexar card reader stopped working. So far so good. It's nice if you have the option not to have to worry about plugging in another USB device when at the very least Macbooks have a card reader built in, that is of course until Apple decides to remove them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up