Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of Gamut Colors / Soft Proofing  (Read 1948 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Out of Gamut Colors / Soft Proofing
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:44 am »

Now that I have soft proofing and a computer that can actually handle lightroom 4, I notice I have many images that are out of gamut when printing on Ilford Smooth Pearl.  Many of these images I have printed in the past and they look good.  How much do you pay attention to gamut warnings.  Where most of my problems arise are out of gamut reds in green foliage.  Some of these are sunset shots with intense color shifts.  Also I have profiles created by Bill Atkinson.  I now understand what he means when he says a bouquet of profiles.  For some of these images I try a different profile which creates subtle changes.  I thought I understood all of this just to find out how complicated printing really is.   

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Out of Gamut Colors / Soft Proofing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:20:54 pm »

How much do you pay attention to gamut warnings.

None. It's unnecessary, buggy and doesn't tell you much useful. It treats 1% and 100% OOG the same. It shows you OOG colors when none are in the image (the bug or rather inaccuracy). Soft proof and view how the rendering intent handles this per image and forget the overlay. Certainly for output. Somewhat useful for the display in LR to show you what colors are OOG on your display.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Re: Out of Gamut Colors / Soft Proofing
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:10:58 pm »

Thank you Rodney.  This has been sooooooo frustrating!  I will sleep better tonight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up