Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching Monitor Profiles  (Read 1740 times)

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
Switching Monitor Profiles
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:25 am »

I would like to find a way of quickly switching between monitor profiles. Ideally, I would like to have one profile optimized for web browsing, text reading and writing, etc., and a second profile whose target settings are optimized for post-processing and printing. Both my monitors are presently calibrated to a ‘compromise’, more-or-less, between the higher luminance and contrast settings I find more comfortable for general computer work and the lower luminance and contrast settings which more easily facilitate a closer monitor/print match. Is there a way of quickly switching profiles? I’m working on a Mac (Mac Pro, early 2009) and have two NEC monitors both calibrated with SpectraView II and an X-Rite i1 Display Pro. I realize I can change profiles via System Preferences/Displays. I’m hoping, however, that there is a quicker, more direct way of switching. Any suggestions?

With many thanks in advance,

Lawrence Braunstein

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Switching Monitor Profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:16:09 am »

There's more to this than just switching profiles on most display systems. On your NEC SpectraView system, you can do this as it updates the actual calibration of the display then loads the correct, associated profile. Doing this (switching profiles) without adjusting the calibration to match isn't going to work! Since you say you have SpectraView and hopefully the software that drives it, doable within the software itself (just save off your calibration's, make profiles, then switch on the fly in the NEC software).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
Re: Switching Monitor Profiles
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:26:38 am »

Thank you, Andrew! I should have realized, with the NEC PA271W the SpectraView engine needs to be involved in the process. After creating new target settings in SV II, saving these settings as a ‘target’, and calibrating the monitor, I can now quickly switch back and forth right within the SpectraView II software. Baby simple!

Once again, many thanks!

Lawrence Braunstein
Pages: [1]   Go Up