Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Office / Studio Chair  (Read 9751 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Office / Studio Chair
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:39:52 pm »

I am looking for a new office chair for my studio and am really struggling to find anything decent. All the office works and home depot stores only carry cheap junk that I really find far from comfortable.

Doesnt have to be leather or super expensive - just comfortable for long periods of time in the saddle.  ;D

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Re: Office / Studio Chair
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:44:17 pm »

I went to my local charity store where I was able to try a large selection of used chairs until I found one that suited me and seemed well-made. $10 outlay.
Ken Cameron

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 12:00:58 am »

Doesnt have to be leather or super expensive - just comfortable for long periods of time in the saddle.  ;D

Well, really good won't be cheap...not sure if you can get these chairs in your neck of the woods, but this is what I use (for about 8 years now). Aeron chair by Herman Miller. The nice thing is they offer three sizes (I have the large frame of course).

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04:36 am »

Actually, they are available in AU. Aeron chair  in AU.

Josh-H

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:13 am »

Thanks Jeff, I was looking at those about an hour ago (found an old thread on LULA about them) and just placed an order for one now.  ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:36:02 am »

About five years ago my stepson gave me his old office chair - it had been bought for him years earlier because he had a back problem.  It is the comfiest chair for long-term sitting I have ever used.  A couple of years ago I was browsing online and happened to see the exact same chair I was using, and only then did I realise the cost of it!  Yes, it is the Aeron chair.  I can tell you - it would be worth every penny.  Fortunately mine came free!

Jim

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:45:19 am »

Thanks Jeff, I was looking at those about an hour ago (found an old thread on LULA about them) and just placed an order for one now.  ;D

I think you'll like it, Josh. Recommending one was my first thought. I've had one for about 6 years now and I'm very happy with it. Even the service is good: the foam pad under the front of the seat came loose recently and the shop immediately replaced not the foam but the whole seat, free of charge. They cost rather more than $10 but they're worth it.

Jeremy

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 11:17:57 am »

Another vote for the Herman Miller Aeron - just make sure you get the right size (A,B or C)  for your weight. If you are over 200 you probably want a "C".

Sheldon N

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:21:24 am »

Another happy Aeron user here.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Josh-H

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 10:49:00 pm »

Well that was fast... chair was just delivered!

Time will tell... but so far feels a significant improvement over my old chair (went with a size B and it feels spot on). ;D
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 04:57:22 am »

Another happy Aeron user here.

And another one here!
Francois

tived

• http://
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 05:57:59 am »

Herman Miller Embody

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 12:02:42 pm »

I think highly of the Aeron chairs, I have one of their chairs and also a stool that I use at a drafting table. Not cheap, to be sure, and perhaps a bit hyped, bit I sit many hours a day and have never regretted spending the $$. Also, check for a Healthy Back store near you, they carry a variety of high-end chairs.

tived

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:22:42 pm »

Well, I had a back injury last year and went straight out and bought my Embody chair, I was really lucky to get a floor demo model for 20% of the original price - I had been prepared to pay full price.

But I can now despite my injury still sit and work for hours and that makes me really happy.

Hype ? No, not in my opinion - you get what you pay for

Here in Australia (WA), it's similar price to an Arca Swiss Cube or a new Canon 24-7mm L Mk II

Josh, I hope you will enjoy your chair and that it will make you comfortable for years to come

Henrik

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 06:06:11 pm »

After 15 years in an "office" chair, I switched to this and feel great after a 10-hour retouch session.
~ CB

tived

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 06:24:44 pm »

The fit ball is not silly at all, it will also help strengthen your core muscles in your lower back and it's very economical

Great choice Chris

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 01:40:14 pm »

Chris how much do you know which size to order? That one seems high - how much do you sink in when you sit on it?

Sharon–

They are listed according to diameter, and recommended according to the height of the user. I use the "Stayball", which has sand in it. It doesn't roll away, and the sand is designed for certain exercises.

55cm
65cm
75cm

I sink a bit, but my hip height is perfect for my legs—my thighs are parallel to the ground—I'm not squatting nor stretching when I sit. No more butt-shock after 10 hours in the chair because I'm constantly rolling/moving a bit (not intentionally, more like fiddling). What I noticed was that I was higher than in my office chair and at first this felt wrong. Keyboard, tablet, mouse, monitors were all in a new place. All I needed to do was raise my monitors up to eye level and everything fit nicely. My posture while working is much improved.
~ CB

jmlphotography

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 03:49:19 pm »

There seem to be many versions, which model do you recommend?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 04:08:45 pm »

There seem to be many versions, which model do you recommend?

I use the Gold's Gym Stayball, "built with a unique anti-burst feature" which seems like it has a thicker wall/material, but I don't really know how it's "anti-burst".

It could be that when it bursts, it explodes with a loud POP, causing the user to quickly jump up.   :D
~ CB

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 05:34:26 pm »

After 15 years in an "office" chair, I switched to this and feel great after a 10-hour retouch session.

Along those same lines, I tried a SWOPPER...I liked it short term but found myself constantly bouncing around and found it impossible to do any serious work involving digital imaging...my arms were simply never stable and the mouse was all over the place. You really have to concentrate to remain stable which I found tiring

I like it (it's adjustable up/down) and still have it but I don't use it very often...would be fun to watch TV on though...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up