Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dimming an image  (Read 1737 times)

dumainew

dimming an image
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:17:03 pm »

When I've finished preparing an image and leave it alone for a little while, the screen dims. It's an imac- and it's part of the energy saving mode. When dimmed the image looks soft and sometimes nearly dreamlike. It's a subtle darkening. I've tried to imitate the look by playing with levels, curves, luminosity, and other controls in PS5. But I can't quite get the same effect the dimming of the monitor achieves. Does anyone know how to do this ?
Thanks for reading.

stamper

Re: dimming an image
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 03:48:14 am »

One possibility is a saturation boost with a Gaussian blur. You would need to experiment with the amounts in both.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 08:45:32 am »

With Curves, try moving the extreme points up or down, ie, (0,0) up and (255,255) down. Usually, we leave those anchored, while we adjust shadows/highlights up or down.

Pete Berry

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:40 pm »

I've found bringing the image back into ACR and applying considerable negative Clarity gives a dreamy effect, as in the attached image from a series on Bodie interiors through the old windows. And I used the adjustment brush to simply reverse the effect in the square area above the table top.

Pete
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:22:07 pm by Pete Berry »

dhancock

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:11 am »

I sometimes use a plugin called wavelet decompose on GIMP. It is meant for portrait editing, as it breaks down the photograph into a color layer and then various levels of detail layers. However, I've found that if you remove certain detail layers, it creates cool dreamy effects. I'm guessing there is a PS equivalent?
Pages: [1]   Go Up