Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900: Ink Cart Error  (Read 10193 times)

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Epson 9900: Ink Cart Error
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:01 am »

Are you saying that on the printer display it never tells you which cart is empty when it stops in the middle of a print?
 how do you know which cart to replace?
 why are you cancelling the job? All you have to do is replace the empty cart and the printer will reset itself where it left off, and continue printing.

David

The odd thing is that when "printing" is showing on the display you can't open the cartridge doors to replace an ink cartridge. You can pry open the doors with a screwdriver and replace a cartridge but by that time the job is lost from the printer queue and you have to cancel the job from the rip anyway. When you cancel the print job at the console the printer simply resets itself and returns to normal.
The console doesn't reflect which cartridge is causing the printer to stop. There are no error messages either on the console or in the rip. I assume it is the cartridge that shows the lowest % amount of ink left. But in any case the red X signifying that the ink needs to be replaced never shows.

The other 9900 issue: As of this morning's test I can testify that I can cause the printer to malfunction with my iphone within 2 or 3 feet of the usb cable. Details to follow if any of you 9900 owners are interested.

Some of you alert folks may think the usb - cellphone interference and the faulty "ink out" messages this topic is about may be related. Can anyone rule that out with their 9900s..as in "I have no cell phone" ?

John Caldwell

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:47 am »

My 9900 was certainly in cell phone range when my flashing "Red-X 11 Ink" problem, which ultimately required replacement of the main board, began. Never USB-connected through; only ethernet.

John-

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:31 am »

My rip Colorbyte contact, Irena, seems to think that the USB problem may be caused by disconnecting the iphone's USB cable shortly before powering up the iphone after sending the print job from the rip to the printer. She says that the Mac USB configuration often gets confused with plugging and unplugging USB devices and may terminate other USB-sent jobs. I'm no tech wizard but that makes sense. So my iphone may not be causing the printer to lose jobs after all. My brain hurts after all this technical reasoning. I will do as Irena says and not unplug my iphone's USB connection while sending printing jobs. I will also light a candle to St. Frustratus, patron saint of the technically challenged.

davidh202

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:22 pm »

Ah!
You didn't say you were using  a RIP and a Mac ,there in lies your problems!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up