Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A big problem with my LR catalog  (Read 3004 times)

dougster_ling

A big problem with my LR catalog
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:28:45 pm »

I have multiple catalogs and xxx.Ircat on a external HD that I need to consolidate into one Master Catalog where all of my previous xxx.Ircat and images can exist as one Master Catalog. I have a mess where many images are missing and am not sure how to fix this so I can find images with their current settings. So is there a way to start over by keeping my xxx.Ircats and rebuild then into a workable Master Catalog? Any ideas where to start.

ds

aduke

Re: A big problem with my LR catalog
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »

If you have not done anything to explicitly destroy the old catalogs, they should still be where they were. :)  If not, I hope you have backups of both the catalogs and the images.

Alan

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:23 am »

Doug the concept is relatively simple but I agree that the devil will be in the detail.

What you need to do is designate one catalog as your master catalog.
Tidy this catalog up as you need to.
Then go to each catalog in turn and tidy that one up.
Once you have done that then export as catalog and then import as catalog into your master catalog.
Keep going until all your catalogs have been imported into your master catalog.

Done this way metadata and settings are not lost in the process.
What exactly needs to be done to tidy your catalogs up is unknown to me since there is not enough information in your post.
If you need to feel free to post more detail on your issues.

Regards

Tony Jay

eliedinur

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:51:56 am »

Tony, what am I missing? Why is it necessary to "export as catalog" before importing? Why can't he just directly import the other catalogs into the designated master?
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:53 am »

I don't think you do.

But I do agree about tidying up the little catalogues first. Use commands like Library > Find Missing Photos to identify and fix any question marks on folders and thumbnails. Look for oddities like images being in more than one catalogue and sort them out. You can do this tidying up over a period, and once you're finished with each small catalogue, import it to the big one and archive it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:29:37 pm by johnbeardy »

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:12 am »

Once you have done that then export as catalog and then import as catalog into your master catalog.

Is the "export as catalog" step really needed? Why not just import the catalog itself?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »

Is the "export as catalog" step really needed? Why not just import the catalog itself?
export as catalog is only necessary if you are wanting only part of the catalog.  As you surmised, if you want the entire catalog, just import it.

John Caldwell

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 04:18:51 pm »

Only to add that any one image that is common to more than one of your small catalogs will obligate you to be aware that during the Import From Catalog step, you'll be over-writing prior "versions" of that file when you're making your serial importations. You have the option of saving the "prior versions" and making new virtual copies upon subsequent importation.

The suggestion that you first start by being sure that your segmental catalogs are in order, and can find all image assets, is correct as I see it. Only then does it make sense to coalesce your small catalogs into a master through the Import From Catalog process.

I work the way you're describing: I have individual assignment-based catalogs in which I do all my Library and Develop work, and subsequently import that content into one large Master Catalog. Others decry this approach, meaning they feel the small individual catalogs idea is poor.

John Caldwell

Tony Jay

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 04:46:23 pm »

Tony, what am I missing? Why is it necessary to "export as catalog" before importing? Why can't he just directly import the other catalogs into the designated master?

You are right.
If the catalogs are on the same hard drive, no need.
I admit to just quoting my workflow for importing catalogs when I have been travelling.
Thanks for pointing out the bleeding obvious.  ;D

Tony Jay

John Caldwell

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 04:53:35 pm »

If the catalogs are on the same hard drive, no need.

No need for catalogs or image assets to be on same drive, Tony. Import From Catalog works irrespective of drive(s) on which origin or destination catalogs reside. This is my workflow: Assignment catalogs on small portable drives; master catalog on separate "non-portable" drive.

John-

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »

No need for catalogs or image assets to be on same drive, Tony. Import From Catalog works irrespective of drive(s) on which origin or destination catalogs reside. This is my workflow: Assignment catalogs on small portable drives; master catalog on separate "non-portable" drive.
Correct again, John.
The big issue with my workflow is that when I do this I am only importing part of a catalog (hence the export then import catalog issue from earlier).
In the future when on assignment I will create a new catalog on the road and just import the whole thing when back home.
(Hopefully that straightens out all the kinks from my prior posts.)

Tony Jay

John Caldwell

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 06:49:12 pm »

In the future when on assignment I will create a new catalog on the road and just import the whole thing when back home.

This is exactly my working method. I take it a step further possibly, meaning I do my Library & Develop work from the "portable" catalog, and then add all that catalog work into the master catalog. Works well, I just wish my master catalog were a lot snappier.

John-

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 02:51:01 pm »

You might want to check out George Jardine's tutorial on Location Workflow & Lightroom Catalog Management at http://mulita.com/blog/?page_id=4130. I've found his suggestions very useful.
Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up