Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: snowstorm  (Read 2979 times)

armand

• Photos
snowstorm
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:35:07 pm »

2 days ago

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: snowstorm
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:59:02 pm »

Thanks for sending us W2 just in time ;)

Well seen. May I suggest a crop (8x10):

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:07:37 pm »

2 days ago
I like both of these views and I think both are quite enjoyable. I prefer the vertical for only a small quibble which is that the black square in the wall of the horizontal frame is a bit distracting. Sticking with the vertical photograph, I get a good connection with snow storm, the cold, the isolation and perhaps loneliness (no people here) of winter. A lot of good emotional and intellectual engagement.

The framing and POV are pleasing considering that branches can be very unwieldy at times. But it is handled well here and the bench remains my point of interest with the eye then going around the trees later. Your exposure is just right and the tonality is wide enough. A few more solid blacks might improve this, but you can experiment and see. The snow lying on the branches is perfect.  There's a slightly awkward bundle of dark branch at the very bottom and you might want to crop up a tad to get rid of it. It is competing with the bench.

Very expressive photograph, and I can see the artist in this.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:08:42 pm »

Slobodan's crop is exactly what I had in mind to rid the bottom of that distraction. Perfect!

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:09:44 pm »

Armand,

On a personal note, I hope you take more photographs like these! I really enjoyed them.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:21:00 pm »

I, too, like Slobodan's crop.

Bruce

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »

I agree with all the comments except that I would suggest an in betweener crop that would preserve the downward swooping branch (lower right to left), but cut out the bundle of twigs at the lower edge of the vertical frame as suggested by Redwood Guy. I think that branch helps to frame the empty bench as if I am peeking through the snow covered branches. A lovely image.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:15:40 pm »

Upon second look, I have a different idea bout the cropping. I very much like the central tree on the left to be planted in the ground. So, cropping is out. Maybe this is a case where simply brushing the clump lighter would do fine. It's the darkness which is the trouble. I don't like loosing the base of the tree.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »

At the risk of committing a gross faux pas, here is what I meant, which would keep the bottom of the tree. Let me know if I have breached some etiquette by cropping and reposting, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:57:04 pm »

Dave,

That's exactly the crop I would have chosen, for the same reasons. It keeps the tree rooted, keeps the curve of the branches from the right, but eliminates the messy clump.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 03:05:01 pm »

At the risk of committing a gross faux pas, here is what I meant, which would keep the bottom of the tree. Let me know if I have breached some etiquette by cropping and reposting, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words ;)
I don't think there's any concern about faux pas - at least not for me. Analysis is valuable.

In your crop, the tree bottom is now so close to the corner as to be awkward in the frame. At which point I'd go back to the original photo.  Lots of room for different ideas about the framing. It's something that can take a little trial and error. The original was really QUITE good!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 03:14:24 pm »

Hi Armand, By now you know that it's best to ignore the croppers -- just pretend they don't even exist. The original vertical is the better of the two and much better than any crop.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 09:31:07 pm »

Thanks for sending us W2 just in time ;)

now that you mention I should start mine soon

Here is a version with few subtle touches that were suggested here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up