Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mingus Mountain  (Read 2191 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Mingus Mountain
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »

Verde Valley, Arizona. Great sky and late, late afternoon light. Transformed to B/W to pick up the contrasts. Thanks for any feedback.

RedwoodGuy

Re: Mingus Mountain
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 08:40:18 pm »

Verde Valley, Arizona. Great sky and late, late afternoon light. Transformed to B/W to pick up the contrasts. Thanks for any feedback.

This is an easily accessible photograph with plenty of drama and vulnerability. It has a real life quality to it that is palpable. The sky is the dominant feature generating all the interest and for that reason, one way this photo could be more powerful is by cropping up from the bottom to exaggerate the dominance of the sky. The f/g is mostly just grass and won't be missed. It also makes it more panoramic, which by itself will emphasize the drama. Beautiful photograph that seems perfectly executed.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »

Hey Red-G!
Thanks again for the comments. Not sure what you mean by accessible and vulnerability. Understand drama. That sky is all about drama! I tried a crop up from the bottom as you suggested. There IS a subtle change that I will study. Again, this is a fantastic opportunity to see some of my photos through someone else's eyes. Appreciate your critique.
PS The f/g detracts from the subject! Yet, enough f/g is necessary to "ground" the photo. I am going to try another crop and would be interested in what you think. Understand your previous panorama point, though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:55:36 am by David Eckels »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:20:42 pm »

This is a 2x3 crop taking out some of the f/g obviously and preserving the original framing proportions, which I sort of have a "thing" about. Comments welcome.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:56:29 am »

Hey Red-G!
Thanks again for the comments. Not sure what you mean by accessible and vulnerability. Understand drama. That sky is all about drama! I tried a crop up from the bottom as you suggested. There IS a subtle change that I will study. Again, this is a fantastic opportunity to see some of my photos through someone else's eyes. Appreciate your critique.
PS The f/g detracts from the subject! Yet, enough f/g is necessary to "ground" the photo. I am goint to try another crop and would be interested in what you think. Understand your previous panorama point, though.
I think either of the new crops is a wee bit more powerful than the original, but of course, it was only a suggestion for you to consider playing with. Glad you tried it. I think on a shot like this when you eliminate the near f/g it's very much like getting down lower with the camera and the sky becomes more powerful over the land. That seemed to be the feeling that was in the picture.

Accessible - I simple mean it is photograph that hits you immediately and you know why. You don't have to do a lot of thinking about it. Vulnerability - is the feeling I got by the threatening sky. e.g. how small we all are.

I enjoyed the photo very much.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:19:17 am »

This is a 2x3 crop taking out some of the f/g obviously and preserving the original framing proportions, which I sort of have a "thing" about. Comments welcome.

I like this one best.  This image is primarily about the clouds, and this draws the eye in and up.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 02:02:22 pm »

So at the risk of overworking an image and your patience  ;), this is a color version of the same photo with the exception that the crop was opened up a bit to reveal the red sand in the foreground.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:19:33 pm »

So at the risk of overworking an image and your patience  ;), this is a color version of the same photo with the exception that the crop was opened up a bit to reveal the red sand in the foreground.
Very interesting. I get a new feeling on the color image. A more romantic sort of "Marlboro man" feel. Rustic, rough, western feel, that isn't as much about the threatening sky as it is about the "west." I'm looking for a cowboy in the picture. Both of course are fine, and only the artist knows what he/she wants to communicate or express. They are rather different though for sure.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 02:26:30 pm »

I like this one best.  This image is primarily about the clouds, and this draws the eye in and up.

I understand what you mean, Mike, but I think it's an awful shame to crop off any of that wonderful sky. I prefer the original (I'm sounding like Russ!).

Jeremy

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:17 pm »

Hi David, lovely photo.

For me the last version in colour would be my choice, the addition of some more foreground helps also I think. But opinions vary.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 02:47:38 pm »

All your comments are very helpful...at getting me outside my own head, if you know what I mean. Appreciate it!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 03:18:27 pm »

I understand what you mean, Mike, but I think it's an awful shame to crop off any of that wonderful sky. I prefer the original (I'm sounding like Russ!).Jeremy

I suppose I should preface this with "needless to say," but I've always believed that if it's needless to say it, don't say it. I agree with Jeremy. The sky is the whole point of this picture. The foreground is necessary to offset the sky but by itself it's pretty ho-hum.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Tony Jay

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 05:24:30 pm »

I am a bit late to this David but my view is that the colour version is the easy winner here.
I can see why you tried a B&W version though.
I agree that the sky is fantastic but disagree that the foreground is 'ho hum'.
All in all I really like the balance of elements in this composition, and, dare I say it, the balance of colour.

Tony Jay

francois

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 05:19:18 am »

I'm also late but while I find the B&W image attractive, I prefer the color one.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up