Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Chairs, Red Door, Red Sign  (Read 1508 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Red Chairs, Red Door, Red Sign
« on: February 09, 2013, 10:28:30 am »

Adding a crop I just did as a whim...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:46:07 am by chrisc »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

nemo295

Re: Red Chairs, Red Door, Red Sign
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:36 pm »

I like how the color of the door is repeated in the chairs, but apart from that these don't do much for me.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:43 pm »

Stacy likes it and I think more is better.

Bruce
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:45:50 pm by Bruce Cox »

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 01:57:13 pm »

I like how the color of the door is repeated in the chairs, but apart from that these don't do much for me.

+1

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:46:42 pm »

Adding a crop I just did as a whim...

The photograph is a good concept, because of the great colors and contrasts. And for some reason, chairs are always good fodder for photography. What is missing in this, is the idea of giving me a more unique view of the chairs and table. Something fresh to see. As is, it is exactly how chairs and table look as a I walk up to any of them. So, what would it look like from above? Or Below? Or dissected in a way that is a new look? Or with something out of place? 

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 09:25:17 pm »

Interesting takes on this image. I made the shot to see if I could move a viewer's eye in a direction counter as to how we read, left to right, top to bottom. In this image, I sought to move the eye from right to left, bottom to top.

Making the chairs the predominate focus point, the door, though OOF, not so much as to be unrecognizable, and lastly the sign to finish the read I think corrupts our natural rhythms just enough to go, "eh?"

I think it was a good experiment and I learned a great deal from your observations. Thanks!
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:24:50 am »

Of the two, I prefer the one on the right.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:03 pm »

Interesting takes on this image. I made the shot to see if I could move a viewer's eye in a direction counter as to how we read, left to right, top to bottom. In this image, I sought to move the eye from right to left, bottom to top.

Making the chairs the predominate focus point, the door, though OOF, not so much as to be unrecognizable, and lastly the sign to finish the read I think corrupts our natural rhythms just enough to go, "eh?"

I think it was a good experiment and I learned a great deal from your observations. Thanks!

You succeeded with me!

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 08:54:43 pm »

My eye did the thing you wanted.

I like the visual of the repeated shape, but beyond that there's not much there. Taking pictures of empty chairs at outdoor cafes is an instant turnoff to me. I know you and your work, so I fought through the "UGH! NOOB ALERT!" warnings to look at it a bit, and it's not bad. Still, not something I like much.

I'd have let the chairs breathe just a bit more. I don't like the nearest chair being clipped at all, and I think it interferes with the visual pun of the chairs versus the door.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 11:28:07 pm »

Next time I'll try to add more visual interest to the scene. I am still working through this color thing having worked nearly all my life in B&W only - except for a brief stint in commercial photography but only then with large machines - no bridezillas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up