Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backpacking Pack + tripod  (Read 4886 times)

SZRitter

Backpacking Pack + tripod
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:34:18 am »

The fiance and I are getting new backpacking packs, and just looking for a few thoughts.

I was thinking between a 65 and 70 liter pack. Trips would be probably three days max with two of us. I need to carry the standard gear plus some of the following:

cable release (have one for each camera)
couple of ND/Polarizing filters
tripod

Cameras: D7000 (or similar in the future) with one to three lenses, or TLR + a few rolls of film and Fuji X10.

Any advice on packs I should look at? Right now the leader is the Osprey Kestral, but not sure on tripod, but that seems to be a common problem with all of them. Detachable daybacks are a plus, but not required.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Backpacking Pack + tripod
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:56:33 am »

I manage with a Crux AK47 - http://www.crux.uk.com/en/rucksacks.php?range=1&product=2

Does me for all my kit (outside of winter) for a few days in the mountains, with room for camera & a couple of lenses, filters & the rest. I strap my Giottos tripod to one side, and can add a large drybag, hanging from the rope compressor strap under the lid, and secured by the side compression straps. That can carry enough food for best part of a week.

I have been thinking of getting something bigger & easier to pack, particularly for winter jaunts, to accommodate winter sleeping bag, mat & extra clothing. The Osprey Exos 58 looks good - http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/superlight/exos_58 -, as does the Lowe Alpine Nanon 50:60 - http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=10&itemid=750&type=man

SZRitter

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 12:10:32 pm »

Crux? Never seen them. UK only? I'm in the US and can't seem to find a dealer at this moment.

I use an Osprey Waypoint for travel and have been extremely happy with them, thus the Osprey is the leading choice. Although, I admit, I completely forgot about Lowe.

The place I work deals Marmot, Arc'teryx, North Face and Mammut, so I can get deals on their gear. Not sure if we have Black Diamond or not. That said, I do love my Osprey packs....

I'll have to look into Lowe though.

I guess my biggest concern was the tripod. Currently operating on a Benro travel angel. And it is great except that the head doesn't lock on....

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:23:06 pm »

Crux is a UK pack. Pretty bombproof basic pack, free of bells & whistles & multiple compartments, sprung backs etc. More for mountaineering than backpacking maybe.

What about some of the Golite & ULA packs?

SZRitter

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 12:32:15 pm »

Years ago, I had always heard of wear issues with GoLite. Since I'm not aiming at Ultralight, I didn't look them up. I'll have to see if that still holds true.

Never knew of ULA, another brand to look up. Thanks!

SZRitter

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 09:10:18 am »

Well, I was looking at packs at a local outdoor store, and they had four different Ospreys at 30% off. If we bought two, 50% off. So, new Osprey Aether 85 for me, and Ariel 75 for the fiancé.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:12:27 am »

Sorry I didn't find this post until now as it appears you've already purchased packs.  I'll share my two cents any way in case someone else might find the information useful.

Osprey makes an absolutely fantastic backpack.  I've no doubt you'll be quite happy with your packs for years to come.  I've been using a Works at Mystery Ranch G7000 for 8 years and it's the best backpack I've ever owned.  They aren't cheap nor are they light but they carry stupid weight in relative comfort.  They're built to last, too.  When my Mystery Ranch pack finally dies I'll replace it with another one.  I also wear my Canon 5D MKII w/ a 24-105mm lens attached in a Clik Elite chest pack for quick access.  It takes a little time to get used to wearing a camera on your chest but once you do you'll appreciate the immediate access.  You'll also find that you skip fewer opportunities due to not wanting to stop, take off your pack and dig out your camera.

As for the tripod, Induro makes rock solid and lightweight carbon fiber tripods that won't break the bank.  I use the Induro CT213 and have been very happy with it.

Good luck and enjoy your new backpacks!

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:42:34 pm »

Bretedge, how much does that 115 L pack weigh when you start out on a trip? Yow!

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:24:20 am »

Bretedge, how much does that 115 L pack weigh when you start out on a trip? Yow!

It depends. When we go backpacking with our 4 year old son, it weighs around 70 pounds.  When we go without  him or I go solo, it's in the neighborhood of 45-50 pounds.  Not light but I just look at it as a good workout.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up