Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Carnival of Venice  (Read 2467 times)

felice volpe

Carnival of Venice
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:34:28 am »

Regards

RedwoodGuy

Re: Carnival of Venice
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:57:33 am »

I think the first photograph is the better of the three for holding my interest. In short, the latter two are pleasant enough but without too much content. The first is nicely framed and the choice of putting the acrobat in the center is very effective. The picture kind of explodes away from the center. I like the contrasts in color and mobility. The b/g is rendered in great detail and that allows plenty of secondary information to pan around. It would have been a shame if that b/g was diffuse and not sharp. I think it has interest on several dimensions and is very effective.

francois

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 11:03:46 am »

Felice,
I like the first image a lot although, on my display, the darks are almost black. The last image (#3) is also fantastic… a portrait rather than street photography. I would only clone out the light spots on the right. The second image is kind of "in-between". It's pleasant but I prefer #1 and #3.

Seems that you had a great time in Venice!
Francois

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 11:29:40 am »

+1. 1 and 3 are excellent. I wouldn't clone out the bright spots that define the left eye socket though. It's fine just the way it is.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 11:48:15 am »

Photos 2 and 3

First off, they are very well executed and there is no technical quibble I would care to speak of. The reason I thought they were less interesting to me is that they aren't interesting portraits per se, because there is no human face. They are photographs of costumes, much like a photograph of a mannequin. What makes human portraits fascinating is our relationship and understanding of humans. When a full mask, or costume is employed, what of the human can we see? They are nice clear photographs of costumes, but I don't develop any relationship with them. If the costume was placed in a larger context, more interest might develop for me.

felice volpe

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 02:27:58 am »

Thank you all for the comments, really significant and constructive. Allow me a few notes on the Carnival of Venice. Its typical features are just the costumes, so much so that the wearer is standing or walking slowly because it must not take any action: what you should see is the costume. There are some real masks that give expression to the face but are a small part.
For example another typical features of the Carnival of Viareggio, are wagons, monumental buildings with public figures depicted satirically.
I post other three photographs of the Venetian carnival as a demonstration of what I wrote.
Best regards

Ps. Sorry for my English

Petrus

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 04:09:42 am »

I was there for 4 days a long time ago during the Carnival, it was truly fascinating (except the main streets which are totally blocked). While many costumes are certainly worth photographing on their own merit, the best shots come from the contrasts between the spectators and the posers, and private glimpses of the sidelines: a lone poser going home on a side street, kid running with fairy wings, etc. My pre-digital slides are buried somewhere, but those are actually the images I remember most vividly. And the unreal atmosphere. Every photographer should go there at least once, before the city sinks out of sight for good.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:50 am »

The photo of the green costume on the balcony is much more to my taste when it comes to shots of costumes.

nemo295

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 12:51:42 pm »

Number 3 is the one that works best for me. It's a very nice portrait.

francois

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 01:51:20 am »

IN this last three shots, I like the last one… it's a study of reds!
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 02:10:37 pm »

Felice Volpe

Mr Fox, your photographs are beautiful! There was a Leica brochure some years (last century, at least!) ago where they featured the Carnival during a snowstorm; it was all very grainy... The photographer - I seem to think he was Fulvio Roiter? I think it was for the M6 rather than the R6,  but since I had brochures for both, can't be certain.

You English is just fine: no problems.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up