Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Third party grids for Profoto?  (Read 8167 times)

The View

Third party grids for Profoto?
« on: February 07, 2013, 05:35:14 pm »

Did you ever try third party grids for Profoto.

I know of the Speedotron grid that would fit on the old Zoom reflector.

I am in the market for a reflector and would rather buy the new Zoom Reflector 2 for its soft fall-off.

Only - the grids are super expensive.

Here is a Chinese company selling grids for the zoom reflector 2 at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeycomb-Grid-10-Degree-for-Profoto-Zoom-Reflector-2-or-Grid-holder-/360477198993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ee1d8a91

Is this decent quality in workmanship and fit? Or is it a cumbersome, cheap product where you pay with your nerves for the savings in money?

Here is a grid from Honey Grids, as USA company, at almost the same price, which I intuitively prefer to the China product:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profoto-Zoom-II-Reflector-20-Aluminum-Honeycomb-Grid-/280961078237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416a95d3dd
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 06:00:06 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Third party grids for Profoto?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:46 pm »

If it takes 7" diameter round grids, ANY 7" diameter round grid will fit it. I use a mix of Speedotron, Balcar, & Dynalite 7" diameter grids. also look for these http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Balcar-Dual-Purpose-Disc-Reflectors-Lot-5-/390522064991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aecedd05f Great for reducing the illumination angle with a 7" grid. You put the disk in the reflector first and then install the grid.

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:33:57 am »

What Ellis said.

The View

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 03:35:15 am »

The Zoom Reflector 2 does not accept 7" grids.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

TMARK

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:35:56 am »

The Zoom Reflector 2 does not accept 7" grids.

Gaf tape and CiniFoil, just like in film production.  Just take the gaf tape off ASAP. When the adhesive dried it gets hard. Rubbing alcohol cleans it up pronto.

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 12:28:25 am »

Why not buy the Profoto Grid Reflector ?

It's designed for standard 7" grids. Allowing you to use whatever brand you like. Interfit is probably the cheapest set out there unless you find some used.

I have both the original Zoom reflectors and the Grid reflectors. The grid reflectors are slightly more efficient and have an even softer fall off than the Zoom 2 because they're shallower.

K.C.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 12:36:11 am »

I just checked the specs on the Profoto site and they list the range of the Zoom 2 as 45-100 degrees. Interestingly they don't list the specs for the Grid reflector on the site but they are on the reflectors. They're 45-95 degrees, which would support my experience that they have a slightly softer fall off.

I use my old Balcar and Comet grids which I bought entire sets of for about the same cost as a single Profoto grid.

The View

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »

Gaf tape and CiniFoil, just like in film production.  Just take the gaf tape off ASAP. When the adhesive dried it gets hard. Rubbing alcohol cleans it up pronto.

Great tip, thanks!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:15:35 pm by The View »

The View

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:11:05 pm »

It's designed for standard 7" grids. Allowing you to use whatever brand you like. Interfit is probably the cheapest set out there unless you find some used.

I have both the original Zoom reflectors and the Grid reflectors. The grid reflectors are slightly more efficient and have an even softer fall off than the Zoom 2 because they're shallower.

I just checked the specs on the Profoto site and they list the range of the Zoom 2 as 45-100 degrees. Interestingly they don't list the specs for the Grid reflector on the site but they are on the reflectors. They're 45-95 degrees, which would support my experience that they have a slightly softer fall off.

I use my old Balcar and Comet grids which I bought entire sets of for about the same cost as a single Profoto grid.

I will check out the light fall-off. This was the reason I liked the zoom reflector 2.

Profoto itself calls the grid reflector "basic". Just wonder why...

In regards to grids, there's a nice 4-grid set by Speedotron for $ 100.

Now it's just the question what possible advantages I could miss out on if I decide against the zoom reflector 2 and for the grid reflector.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:18:49 pm by The View »

TMARK

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 10:52:42 pm »

I will check out the light fall-off. This was the reason I liked the zoom reflector 2.

Profoto itself calls the grid reflector "basic". Just wonder why...

In regards to grids, there's a nice 4-grid set by Speedotron for $ 100.

Now it's just the question what possible advantages I could miss out on if I decide against the zoom reflector 2 and for the grid reflector.

Grid reflector is fantastic and that Speedo set is great. Can't go wrong.

The View

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 12:25:15 am »

Grid reflector is fantastic and that Speedo set is great. Can't go wrong.

Thanks, much appreciated! Will go for this one.

K.C.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 12:57:39 am »

The new Zoom reflector is a full stop more efficient than the first generation. The grid reflector is about .75 stops more efficient than the original. Fall off is nearly identical with the grid reflector being softer. There is, as I've already said, a mere 5 degrees difference in the longest throw position.

The original Zoom reflector has been around for over a decade and they've been holding people hostage for grids. First you needed the over priced adapter and then you're paying 5 times what a 7" grid costs. So they introduce the new grid reflector and appease that complaint. Shortly after that they introduced the Zoom 2 along with the D1s which have a 'built in' 70 degree reflector. Both are much improved designs over the products they replaced. The grid reflector shares their more modern engineering.

The View

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 03:43:25 pm »

The new Zoom reflector is a full stop more efficient than the first generation. The grid reflector is about .75 stops more efficient than the original. Fall off is nearly identical with the grid reflector being softer. There is, as I've already said, a mere 5 degrees difference in the longest throw position.

The original Zoom reflector has been around for over a decade and they've been holding people hostage for grids. First you needed the over priced adapter and then you're paying 5 times what a 7" grid costs. So they introduce the new grid reflector and appease that complaint. Shortly after that they introduced the Zoom 2 along with the D1s which have a 'built in' 70 degree reflector. Both are much improved designs over the products they replaced. The grid reflector shares their more modern engineering.

Thanks, K.C. This information about the grid reflector was very valuable to me!

Now I'll definitely go for the grid reflector and look forward to using the Speedotron kits.

BrianSmith

• Celebrity Portrait Photographer Brian Smith
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:41 pm »

Did you ever try third party grids for Profoto.

I know of the Speedotron grid that would fit on the old Zoom reflector.

I am in the market for a reflector and would rather buy the new Zoom Reflector 2 for its soft fall-off.

Only - the grids are super expensive.

Here is a Chinese company selling grids for the zoom reflector 2 at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeycomb-Grid-10-Degree-for-Profoto-Zoom-Reflector-2-or-Grid-holder-/360477198993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ee1d8a91

Is this decent quality in workmanship and fit? Or is it a cumbersome, cheap product where you pay with your nerves for the savings in money?

Here is a grid from Honey Grids, as USA company, at almost the same price, which I intuitively prefer to the China product:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Profoto-Zoom-II-Reflector-20-Aluminum-Honeycomb-Grid-/280961078237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416a95d3dd

I'd go with the Chinese version. Black Grids are much more effective than bare aluminum.

BrianSmith

• Celebrity Portrait Photographer Brian Smith
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:10:08 pm »

Tried one of those and didn't care for it. The larger deeper grid just seem to make better use of Profoto's frosted glass dome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up