Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Couple Hasselblad V series questions  (Read 9334 times)

JohnCox123

Couple Hasselblad V series questions
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:34:12 am »

After considering selling and deciding not to I've decided I'm going to have some fun with my 503CX and I'm looking for the 45 or (preferably)90 degree prism with the least amount of viewfinder cropping. I know pretty much every finder reduces viewfinder coverage to some extent. I would just like to know which shows the most of what my lens will portray.

I also I think I need a split image focussing screen too. KEH has screens for the cm/elm/x bodies at 12$. Will these work on my 503CX or do I need a different screen.

Thanks in advance.
John

TMARK

Re: Couple Hasselblad V series questions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:33:12 am »

All of the V series finders I've used give 100% of the view.  The difference between early 45 degree finders (PM, PM3, PM5) versus the PM45 is the mount of magnification.  The PM45 has I believe 2x, while the earlier finders have 2.5x.  What this translates to in use is that the older prisms require you to move your eye around to see the entire screen, while the PM45 allows you to see the entire screen without moving your eye around.

The 90 degree finders are a not really suited to a V series, in my opinion.  The PM90 is a nice finder, but makes the camera, for me, unnturlly difficult to use.

As to screens, the Accute Matt and Accute Matt D are the ones to get.  They show the in out of focus better than most screens, and the split screen is versions are fantastic.  The original screens are dark and strange, which is why they are $12 bucks at KEH. 

JohnCox123

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:54:19 am »

Yeah I'm doing more portraits and work that requires focus and I'd like options to the flip up magnifier on the waist level finder. I'll look for a PM 45. I may get the $12 screen just to see what it's like (it's only $12) before splurging on an acu-matte screen.
Thanks.
John

Chris Livsey

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:41 am »

Earlier were 2.5 x later 3x eg PM5 PME51
PM90 and PME90 are 2x

You should note the standard fold out viewfinder magnifier offers 4.5X for comparison purposes.

The only finder which is not full screen is not a prism but the "chimney" model 72534. (Also known as DPS) this was available for a short time and magnified only the 4x4 view of the 18MP square digital backs eg CFV Phase One P20.

Agree an Acute Matte is a must over earlier screens, the usual wide range available S/H. The earlier screens will fit and if you never use an Acute Matte you will be happy, after that never happy. You should check the screen you have now. Acute Matte have two cut outs on the holder edge to identify them.

Added:- the Acute Matte D (from 1997) is the one with the two cut outs, allegedly to resemble a D, so a screen without the cut outs can be Acute Matte being the first version.
The recommendation with metered prisms not calibrated for Acute Matte was to adjust by a stop which indicates how much brighter they were/are than the std. screens.
As I understand it the balance between contrast and brightness was "tweaked" in the D version. I have not found a definitive Hasselblad answer and the catalogue description of the D in the 1997 version gives no detail of the change from that of the non D in the 1996 catalogue. it may also be that they improved the vignetting which was noted with the first version as "even illumination" is noted for the D.
 I am aware the OP may not be interested in this but I add for archive purposes.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:50:33 pm by Chris Livsey »

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 03:57:10 pm »

I may get the $12 screen just to see what it's like (it's only $12) before splurging on an acu-matte screen.

Put $12 worth of gas in you car and go for a nice drive. It's a better value.

OEM V generation screens are horrible.

patrickfransdesmet

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:03 am »

I agree,
I use V series 20 years

I use PME45
PME 90 is not usefull
coverage is 100%
even easier to focus and diopter correction
and sight corrected image (as an SLR prism)

Mine does not get unmount from 503CW

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:31:01 am »

I agree,
I use V series 20 years

I use PME45
PME 90 is not usefull
coverage is 100%
even easier to focus and diopter correction
and sight corrected image (as an SLR prism)

Mine does not get unmount from 503CW

I always used the 45 degree thing, and years after selling the outfit I had another look at a 500 Series with my old prism (45 degree)-type and it felt really strange, as if looking uphill. Yet, when I had it, I never felt the oddness at all; don't let initial strangeness put you off: it's a great way of viewing. I hated the standard WLF. What's the point of using it without the right-way-round advantage available with a prism? Apart from anything else, keeping your eyes and side of the nose hard against these metal edges gets very uncomfortable in a studio shoot situation if you shoot people, which means your eyes seldom stray from the screen... comfort is good.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up