Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: timeless and canvas mounting problems  (Read 990 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
timeless and canvas mounting problems
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »

Hey all,
    I've previously had zero problems using miracle much and mounting canvas to gator foam (1/2"). I've now got two ruined canvases from what I suspect are the same set of problems. I printed on lyve, sprayed with timeless, let the canvas cure for 2 days in one case and almost 5 days in another case. While mounting one canvas I came back after 12 hours to discover it's been glued to the table. I am meticulous in findin loose drops of glue because early on I glued a canvas to my counter with drippings. before I weight something down I go over every inch to find extra miracle muck. On the canvas glued to the table the print was ruined trying to get it unstuck. Now I find that the recent image has glued itself to it's packing, once again ruining the canvas getting it unstuck. what's going on here? my workflow doesn't allow for a 30 day curing of the coating. How come my Timeless is turning to glue? I don't pack or mount anything until it appears to be completely dry. there was no soft or tacky feeling at all.
Mark

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: timeless and canvas mounting problems
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:05:17 pm »

Try explaining it again. Not quite sure what you are doing?
MM your gator with roller. Put your canvas on gator and bray it down.
Flip over and trim your canvas. You don"t have to weight anything down.
Where do you have canvas touching a table surface with MM on it?
The topcoat varnishing should have nothing to do with you MM process.
Of course I spray mine hanging so they never get laid flat until they are dry. (Less then an hour)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:29:43 pm by Dan Berg »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Re: timeless and canvas mounting problems
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:13:24 pm »

Not sure exactly what's going on there.  But have never had any such problem with GlamourII, which is sweetest tempered and the best behaved canvas coating on Earth.  I was just a few days ago experimenting with Timeless on matte papers, and was impressed both by how easy it was to get a high gloss (that's good) and how sticky (and bubble-prone) the stuff was!

How much coating are you applying?  I get a good coat with GII if I lay down a total of about 4.5 ml of concentrate per square foot of glossy canvas, or about 6 to 7 ml if I am trying to bring matte canvas up to gloss or satin.  Any more is pointless, any less doesn't give adequate abrasion protection.  I usually mount my canvases to Gator about 6 hours after coating.  It's very important to wipe any glue away from the edges and especially from the back to prevent little dabs of glue on the back of the Gator from messing up stacked, mounted prints.

Hmmm, for spraying I also tape up the entire top length of my prints with 1", Scotch blue masking tape. Prevents coating from oozing down behind the canvas, since I spray with the canvas support tilted back at about a 15 degree angle.  But it also creates a danger from runs off the tape itself which is a lot less absorbent than the canvas.  Two medium thin coats applied a few minutes apart does not create runs off the tape, but any more will.

edit...an alternative to taping down the top edge of the prints is to clamp the top edge of the prints flush with top edge of the support.  Doesn't work so well for my particular workflow, where I primarily coat 8 foot x 44" pieces of canvas with several stripped-up images.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:21:00 pm by bill t. »
Pages: [1]   Go Up