Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Vista  (Read 15613 times)

RedwoodGuy

Travel Vista
« on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:48 pm »

Front door.

Johnny_Johnson

Re: Travel Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:10:36 pm »

I like it! Is that location, by any chance, on US163 near Mexican Hat, Utah?

Later,
Johnny

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »

Hi Johnny,
It's the Painted Hills near John Day, Oregon. Thank you.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:43 pm »

Eastern Sierra

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:35:10 pm »

Point Reyes

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:45:52 pm »

Sundial Bridge

nemo295

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:15:28 pm »

Point Reyes

That's one of the better shots of Inverness's famous beached boat that I've seen.

amolitor

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 04:16:14 pm »

The first one has an idea, of sorts. I kind of dig it, I kind of don't. The next two are a bit of a mystery. A sharp trailer with soft mountains in the background? Not sure what you're going for here, but it does nothing for me. Is it a bad snapshot, or some sort of commentary on bad snapshots? I can't tell. That damned boat at Pt Reyes gets explored on flickr pretty much every time somebody makes a photograph of it, which is a couple times a day. There are subtle differences in framing, but your photograph has been made so often that I am pretty sure there's only one place you can really shoot the thing from.

The last one is a bit startling, amongst the rest of the work you've posted here. The cyclist on the bridge displays a very nice grasp of geometry and timing. It's well done, very graphical. It does not strike me as having much to offer beyond the very strong geometry, but perhaps that's enough. It's a lot, at any rate.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 04:51:46 pm »

That's one of the better shots of Inverness's famous beached boat that I've seen.
Thanks. I have an attraction to  derelicts and lost causes of all sorts. Maybe empathy. When I execute my SNAPSHOTS I like to imagine breathing a bit of new life into it - that I can look at later.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »

SNAPSHOT of food cart.

amolitor

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 04:56:58 pm »

If you don't want critique, just say so.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:06:30 pm »

If you don't want critique, just say so.

I enjoy all critiques to no end!  I am getting a very special pleasure from yours. Please continue at your pleasure, or leisure.

amolitor

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 05:13:42 pm »

So I shouldn't take your use of the word SNAPSHOT in all caps as a sign of offense?

Very well.

The food cart has pretty much nothing going for it except the amusement of the signage about cold and frozen things on what appears to be quite a cool day, which I assume is the point. As such it's not a bad document of a mildly amusing scene. It suffers from a bit of a split personality, there's an apparent subject placed at a crossing of 1/3 lines in the approved fashion with the guy standing at the service window. Since the dude does not seem to be part of the joke, there's a bit of a conflict between ideas going on here.

The color palette feels too popped and warm for the day, and conflicts with the cold day/cold drinks joke.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:12 pm »

The Mayor.

Another travel snapshot. This of "Jimmy the Mayor".

amolitor

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 05:30:41 pm »

Interesting looking dude. If you redid it without crushing the lower tones down to black, you'd open up his hat, and the shirt might calm down enough to not completely overwhelm the guy's face, and then you might have a pleasing street portrait kind of thing.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 05:32:14 pm »

So I shouldn't take your use of the word SNAPSHOT in all caps as a sign of offense?

Very well.

The food cart has pretty much nothing going for it except the amusement of the signage about cold and frozen things on what appears to be quite a cool day, which I assume is the point. As such it's not a bad document of a mildly amusing scene. It suffers from a bit of a split personality, there's an apparent subject placed at a crossing of 1/3 lines in the approved fashion with the guy standing at the service window. Since the dude does not seem to be part of the joke, there's a bit of a conflict between ideas going on here.

The color palette feels too popped and warm for the day, and conflicts with the cold day/cold drinks joke.

Not to be impolite here, but you seem to have far more interest in engaging in some antagonism and confrontation instead of critique. When I critique, I critique the photo. I don't invent left-handed insults to work into the copy. Do you know how old the "snapshot" putdown is in photographic circles? I mean really, I almost spit my coffee out my nose on that one. I am new here, so I am having to learn where the peacocks are and the exact pecking order. I think I just found it.

Please assume if you like that anything I post is a "snapshot" and spare yourself having to continually repeat at least THAT stale old joke. I love taking snapshots - thank you for noticing.

Here's how I critique:
- I look for intellectual, emotional or visual interest. And how much there is of each.
- I look for signs of the photographer revealing themselves in the photograph.
- I look for technical elements which might be limiting the expressive power of the photograph as shot.
- I try to measure if I want to know more by having seen the photograph, or not.
-I try to suggest ways to improve the photograph keeping in mind the circumstances as I might know them

I avoid four things: Telling people to go to a library and learn photography; telling people they are ignorant of various subjects;  name dropping famous photographers in an effort to associate my self with their work; and inserting insults, jokes or demeaning remarks about the photographer's ideas or intent. I have found over the years that this engenders the most respect from the artist.

Of course, how others critique is their own business and not mine. But as I enjoy critiquing photographs, and I see some awful critique methods here, I don't want anyone to confuse my intentions with some of these critique styles I've seen.

Now, it isn't my intention to keep engaging in this kind of talk. I am interested in photographs and critiques.

amolitor

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:27 pm »

What on earth do you think I am doing? I am critiquing your photographs. Yes, yes, I know that in that other thread you have some notion that I underhandedly insulted you. I didn't, you simply chose to read an insult into my words. I could laboriously explain why it wasn't an insult, but I'm very unlikely to change your mind on that point so I will simply assert that the insult is in your mind, not in mine.

If you don't like my critique, that's fine. The fact is, the work you're posting here is extremely mixed. A few items are quite good, a few items could be quite good with a lighter touch, and lot of it is pretty mediocre. It's fairly plain that you don't like being told that your work is mediocre. Not many people do like being told that. In fact, you'd have to be a pretty strange person to enjoy it. On the other hand, if you're going to post work FOR critique, getting mad when someone opines that your work isn't very good is neither productive nor particularly mature.

Are you mad right now? I don't know for sure, but there are signs that suggest you are.

ETA: Could you point out the part in the text of mine that you quoted where I am NOT critiquing the photo, or where I AM engaged in antagonism and confrontation?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:42:01 pm by amolitor »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 05:51:15 pm »

"Front Door"
Oh, I do like that! Of course, there's the framing element that gives just enough context. Perhaps it is that I have had that same glimpse through the RV door so to speak that reminds me of travel in days past.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:01:08 pm by David Eckels »

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 05:58:54 pm »

Amoliter - - If you feel like critiquing, forge ahead. If not, don't. I'm just not interested in chewing the rag with you over stale , 25 year old photography putdowns. I measure the value of critiques by their content, just as I hope everyone else does.

amolitor

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:05 pm »

I wasn't the guy chewing the rag. I was the guy writing the critiques.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up