Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Vista  (Read 15610 times)

RedwoodGuy

Re: Travel Vista
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 06:08:53 pm »

"Front Door"
Oh, I do like that! Of course, there's the framing element that gives just enough context. Perhaps it is that I have had that same glimpse through the RV door so to speak that reminds me of travel in days past.
Thanks David. I found the painted hills hard to grasp photographically in a way that spoke to me. Once you have the pano shot, well, then what? What would make a memory for me? And of course, the RV door does precisely that. It gave me a "road trip" feel.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »

Lobby.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 06:57:52 pm »

SNAPSHOT of food cart.

I see you made it to Seaside...quaint little place.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 09:04:58 pm »

I see you made it to Seaside...quaint little place.
Yes Chris. It was on a recent road trip. First time in Seaside. Sadly for us, we had terrible rainy cold weather for our short visit to the area. I was so looking forward to lolling in the sun there.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:25 pm »

Arizona

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 03:41:43 am »

Redwood, I like the photo of the cyclist on the bridge: it's well seen, it has strong lines and it's memorable. I'm struggling to work out why you've posted any of the others in this thread, though, save perhaps for the first.

Jeremy

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 12:53:54 am »

Another view of the Seaside Airstream vendors.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:55:35 am by chrisc »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 01:55:51 am »

I'm struggling to work out why you've posted any of the others in this thread, though, save perhaps for the first.

Jeremy
Keep working at it. It might come to you suddenly. Or it may not. You never know. Photographs are by definition "self explanatory" and "self contained." They require no written explanations (in fact when photographers begin explaining their photographs it's best to run for the hills). Whatever they have to say to a viewer is within the borders of the frame. I used to like to use this analogy with people who didn't get a particular photo: "Do you know what "F=ma" means?" Some would know, and of course, some wouldn't. And then it was easy to explore why that was so: They had different backgrounds!

Now, I thought every person here posted photographs for the exact same reason. What would make you think my reason is different than anyone else here?

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 02:03:03 am »

Another view of the Seaside Airstream vendors.

The second photograph has a nice feel immediately associated with travel and the vintage trailers. It is direct in that way, and well framed. I don't however understand the color and tone. I don't recognize this as either color or B&W. It has an odd tonality that I can't identify. I don't think it is helping the photograph though. I think this would be improved by a presentation in either conventional color or B&W without the effect that is on this one.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2013, 05:39:15 pm »

... I'm struggling to work out why you've posted any of the others in this thread...

To prove, once again, that those who can, do, and those who can not, teach (ie, lecture about it)?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2013, 07:49:26 pm »

To prove, once again, that those who can, do, and those who can not, teach (ie, lecture about it)?

A false and condescending aphorism, as any teacher will attest.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2013, 07:57:51 pm »

A false and condescending aphorism, as any teacher will attest.

Works in this case.

Besides, teachers protesting it does not say much, does it? Btw, I happen to be a teacher, among other things.

amolitor

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2013, 08:06:44 pm »

Sometimes, those who can, also teach. The ones who cannot are faced with the choice of teaching, or of not doing it at all. Some of THOSE choose to teach, and some of THOSE in turn are outstanding teachers.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2013, 09:14:16 pm »

Oh, and if those of us who teach, didn't, there would be fewer of you out there eating tonight.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 09:28:56 pm »

Oh, phleaaaaseee!

My post was not about teachers, for god's sake, but about the pompous, pseudo-intelectual lecturing by someone whose own photography can be described as mediocre at best and excruciatingly boring at worst.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 09:32:46 pm »

Sorry, Slobodan. I read that incorrectly...and I knew you were also a teacher. Bad me.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:11 pm »

Oh, and if those of us who teach, didn't, there would be fewer of you out there eating tonight.
The color version looks much better than the previous version.

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2013, 10:11:31 pm »

Works in this case.

Besides, teachers protesting it does not say much, does it? Btw, I happen to be a teacher, among other things.
Do you take any photographs? I haven't seen any posted. Oddly, I also haven't seen any user critiques you've written. 

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:02 am »

Works in this case.

Now, where have I seen this before? Oh yes! Here it is...!  

From John R Smith, back in May 2012, ( here is the link to the thread: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=67324.msg533040#msg533040 )

"Very OOF subject in foreground? Really?

Very boring background . . .

I don't understand you at all. Your critiques of other's pictures are literate, discerning, and mostly well-judged. But the pictures you post yourself seem calculated to provoke a negative response. On this one it looks as if you accidentally fired the shutter when you were walking along.

Why?

John"

Andrew, could it be that you feel threatened by "Redwoodguy" -it looks like he is right in the middle of "your" territory here? Stop this "dick-measuring competition"...Surely there is place for everyone here? I find your critiques just as helpful as "Redwoodguys". You both take time and thought with your opinions, stop wasting your useful energy on this silliness.

William

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 03:45:23 am »

Do you take any photographs? I haven't seen any posted. Oddly, I also haven't seen any user critiques you've written. 

Then you've not been paying attention.

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up