Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source for Aluminum in precut sizes?  (Read 4870 times)

ewingr

Source for Aluminum in precut sizes?
« on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:18 pm »

Have purchased aluminum prints online, and considering doing prints myself. Been reading some of the threads here.

Aside from costs of the printer etc, the one main thing holding me back is sourcing aluminum, either that needs the coating, or coated, in print ready sizes, such as : 4X6, 5X7, 8X10, 8X12, 8 1/2 X 11, 10X10, 10X20, 11X14, 12X18, 12X24, 16X20, 20X20. Would also like options for rounded corners, and for float mounts.

I have found suppliers for Dye Sublimation, but I want to do Ink Jet printing.

Anyone know of a source?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Source for Aluminum in precut sizes?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 02:08:11 pm »

Most aluminum prints are made by using inkjet dye sublimation.  You will not get anything close to the same look by directly printing onto aluminum, unless perhaps you have a solvent based printer.  Some of them do a pretty good job.

The current process is to print onto a dye sub transfer sheet with Sawgrass inks using an Epson printer.  HP and Canon printers cannot be used for this because they heat the ink (bubblejet) and the inks are designed to gasify at higher temperatures.

That sheet is then sandwiched with an pre-coated aluminum blank in a  heated pressure press to complete the dye sublimation transfer process.

Most distributors are sourcing the aluminum blanks from a single company (sorry, don't recall the name off hand).

I would suggest Liberty Photo as a good source for everything you might need.  Most find an old Epson printer (4800) and convert it to the sawgrass inks.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:26:46 pm »

Booksmart Studios in Rochester,NY. sells the inkjet panels you are looking for.

The Dye sublimation images are usually heat pressed on a Chromaluxe panel. The white is just stunning.
To see a demonstration of what Wayne and I are talking about go to YouTube and google Cond'e Systems.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:50:41 am by Dan Berg »

ewingr

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 04:02:37 pm »

Thanks, guys.
Yes, I've read about dye sublimation. I had presumed, likely incorrectly, that the Aluminum Prints that you typically find online at various sites were Ink Jet. That was what I had first heard. But when researching for aluminum, I've run into mostly dye sublimation product.

So, I suspect you are right, Dye Sublimation is teh way to go.

I guess I'll have to forego. Too much equipment involved.

Pages: [1]   Go Up