Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: equipment prices  (Read 2357 times)

david distefano

equipment prices
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:20:00 am »

since may 2012, the dollar has gone from 79.87 yen to today's rate of 93.78. the governor of the bank of japan had resigned because the new government is pushing hard for an exchange rate of at least 100 yen to the dollar, a 26% gain in value for the dollar. does anyone see in the near future a price cut on camera equipment from nikon, canon, etc.

theguywitha645d

Re: equipment prices
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:35:09 am »

No. First, there is no way to predict this trend will continue. I also think the camera companies are getting a little tired of losing money. This just gives them a little breathing room in a really bad economy and industry.

philbaum

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:29:47 pm »

I think the reason that most camera companies are losing money, or not making the predicted profits, is that P&S cameras are losing sales faster than sales in dslrs are increasing. 

MarkL

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:01 pm »

I think the reason that most camera companies are losing money, or not making the predicted profits, is that P&S cameras are losing sales faster than sales in dslrs are increasing. 

Most p&s users not going to phones are going mirrorless which is a rapidly increasing market that most dslr manufs are not big players in.

The yen is high but the D700 to D800 price increase way way above that + inflation. The price of the 85mm AF-D to AF-S in the UK almost doubled.

david distefano

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:24:17 pm »

103 yen to the dollar. 10% dollar increase in last 3 months.
Pages: [1]   Go Up