Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fallen Tree at Sunrise - Briones  (Read 1256 times)

John Rodriguez

• John Rodriguez Photography
Fallen Tree at Sunrise - Briones
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:42:06 pm »

John Rodriguez

Re: Fallen Tree at Sunrise - Briones
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 01:56:20 pm »

Any constructive feedback/suggestions?  This has been a problem image for me, I think there's something here but I'm having a problem getting the image where I think it needs to be.  The problem area seems to be the hillside that's backlighting the forest.  Not enough separation?

francois

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »

I've been looking at your for quiet some time now but I can't really for a definitive opinion. I must admit that I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable [not always a bad thing!] with the slope and all the leaning trees. It might be me only! FWIW, I like the light background with the darker trees… I don't see separation as a problem. I also like the light, sunlit patch of grass at the bottom left of your image.

Need some more time…
Francois

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 06:58:42 pm »

My eye keeps being drawn away from all the detail and movement in the trees down to the bright foreground in the bottom left. This is why, for me anyway, the photograph doesn't work as well as it might otherwise.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:47 pm »

I must admit that I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable [not always a bad thing!] with the slope and all the leaning trees. It might be me only! FWIW, I like the light background with the darker trees… I don't see separation as a problem. I also like the light, sunlit patch of grass at the bottom left of your image.
I agree with the slope being the problem here not the lighting.This kind of off kilter composition can sometimes work depending upon the subject matter e.g. buildings- architecture as a more geometric abstract.
But here my brain sees the composition as totally unnatural and too steep, there is too much tension (trees grow vertical no matter how steep the slope is), and our brains are fighting to make it right as they know it should be ;-) If you at least make slope more gradual by making the large tree at the right side vertical it does help somewhat. ;-)
David
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:49:04 pm by davidh202 »

John Rodriguez

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 08:45:19 am »

Thanks for the feedback.  I can now walk away from the damn thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up