Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zen Garden: Landscape on a smaller scale  (Read 1340 times)

James Clark

Zen Garden: Landscape on a smaller scale
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:02 pm »

This wasn't really appropriate for the landscape forum, so I thought I'd see what folks thought over here instead.  :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Zen Garden: Landscape on a smaller scale
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 03:51:12 am »

This wasn't really appropriate for the landscape forum, so I thought I'd see what folks thought over here instead.  :)

It's a mini-landscape! It's nicely lit. The part-dead leaf to the right doesn't help it. I think I'd like it more if the background were as plain as the pot (minimalist) or the textures of pot and background were reversed.

Jeremy

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 12:04:29 pm »

This is very well exposed and executed. But the composition is too static to hold my attention for long. There's no bottom to the vase - no resting place - and that's a bit awkward looking. It tends to change the thing from a photograph to a "graphic" element. There are no contrasts aside from the small dead leaf. And the b/g looks like a piece of paper instead of a solid surface. That may sounds like a lot of objections, but they are easily fixed. For instance, suppose the vase was moved to the left? Or, suppose the background was more contrasty to the vase? Or suppose the vase was resting on a red platform? Any of those kinds of changes would give the photograph more stopping power. As a centered composition - which is fine too - I would then expect the subject, in this case the plant, to be something spectacular, not something mundane. Your idea of capitalizing on simplicity is a good one.

James Clark

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:50 pm »

Fair comments, both, but sometimes you work with what's presented to you :)   Perhaps my mistake was that, while I saw it in the context of a larger picture, without that context it's sort of muddled :)

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:00:24 pm »

This larger photograph has very pleasant geometry and line. It provides some visual stimulation. There's plenty for the eye to roam around and discover (including the small potted plants). I like the frank commentary of it, and the execution is very good too. Not that this kind of architectural photograph can't stand on it's own, but my own interest would be higher if there was a human element in it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up