Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silverfast Multi Exposure for Opening Up Shadows  (Read 2081 times)

TimG

Silverfast Multi Exposure for Opening Up Shadows
« on: February 05, 2013, 04:34:54 pm »

I've been working through the excellent Silverfast 8 eBook by Mark D. Segal, and have come across one of those "Aha!" moments.

In the book, Mark talks extensively about the ability of Silverfast 8 to open up shadow detail, offering several procedures for doing so.  One method which came to mind (and I am not sure if this is covered or not) is using Silverfast Multi Exposure for the scan, and using Photoshop's Shadows/Highlights tool to open up the shadows.  This tool works wonders on high contrast slide film (in this case, Velvia 50).

I've attached a comparison showing a 100% crop of a ME scan on the left and the same with Shadows/Highlight set at default values.  The original image was shot high in the Sierra Nevada, middle of a bright, sunny day, and is of a waterfall (white water) with snow on both banks.  Not only does this MESH (Multi-Exposure plus Shadows/Highlights) technique reveal shadow detail, it can be used to recover highlight detail as well (ripples in sunlit snow).

I realize this is likely possible using Lightroom or other software which offers Recovery/Fill Light or similar options, but I thought I'd pass along this info for those who use Photoshop to process their scans.

Thanks to Mark for pointing out ways to get more out of the shadows and for providing what is the only resource for Silverfast 8.

Tim

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Silverfast Multi Exposure for Opening Up Shadows
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »

Hi Tim,

Thanks very much and I'm pleased that you are finding the book useful. If you check-out Appendix 5, devoted completely to the subject of shadow detail, you will find ME and Photoshop's Shadows/Highlights tool demonstrated there, amongst the other options as well.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

TimG

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:26:50 pm »

Excellent!  I will have to give it a look.  I'm currently using the Smart Object route so I can go back and tweak the Shadows/Highlights to taste.

Thanks Mark!

Tim

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 08:33:30 pm »

Sounds good, and please let us know if you discover anything more of interest as you get along.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up