Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Market for used Zeiss ZE lenses  (Read 3357 times)

NigelC

Market for used Zeiss ZE lenses
« on: February 04, 2013, 06:03:10 am »

As I have one or two almost new but not much used lenses, I have been monitoring ebay for a bit and finding that even near mint used ZE/ZF lenses don't seem to have many takers, other than at knock down prices. This contrasts with the more desirable Canon L lenses where I have seen people bidding quite close to best online price. Any reason for that? - I thought the Zeisses were popular with the video fraternity, or has that phase passed?

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Market for used Zeiss ZE lenses
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:21:14 am »

I'd heard that they were made not by Zeiss, but by Cosina. Certainly no better optically than Canon, and oft times inferior to them, and less good mechanically as well. Others tell a different story altogether. Taken together, I wonder whether quality control is as it should be, and that there's maybe a few shoddy quality lenses out there. Maybe that puts some folk off
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:23:38 am by Chairman Bill »

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:04 pm »

My hunch is it has less to do with whether they are made by Cosina or any kind of optical/mechanical issues whether real or imagined. I would guess there is a very small market for used ZE lenses compared to Canon L lenses. This means that since ebay auctions only run for a given time you will get less bidders on your ZE lens than a comparable auction for a Canon lens would get (relative to the number of lenses for sale). In any second price auction, the expected sales price increases in the number of bidders. Hence, the Canon lenses are selling for more.

So far the theory. The empirical evidence kind of supports this. Many items that are only sold in small numbers, seem to be sold through the fixed price mechanism on ebay. Maybe it is because of the lower fees, but I would guess it is because of this phenomenon. This has nothing to do with the quality of the itmes (I was looking at Leica R lenses, for example). So, unless you are pressed for time, putting your lenses up at a higher price waiting for a high-value buyer to show might make more sense.

All IMHO, of course. 
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:49:16 pm »

Also I imagine a lot of the potential buyers are (here in the u.k.) VAT registered so even with 20% off list there is still no point buying when you can get a new one for the same price as what an amateur would charge for a near new lens.

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 04:01:28 am »

My hunch is it has less to do with whether they are made by Cosina or any kind of optical/mechanical issues whether real or imagined. I would guess there is a very small market for used ZE lenses compared to Canon L lenses. This means that since ebay auctions only run for a given time you will get less bidders on your ZE lens than a comparable auction for a Canon lens would get (relative to the number of lenses for sale). In any second price auction, the expected sales price increases in the number of bidders. Hence, the Canon lenses are selling for more.

So far the theory. The empirical evidence kind of supports this. Many items that are only sold in small numbers, seem to be sold through the fixed price mechanism on ebay. Maybe it is because of the lower fees, but I would guess it is because of this phenomenon. This has nothing to do with the quality of the itmes (I was looking at Leica R lenses, for example). So, unless you are pressed for time, putting your lenses up at a higher price waiting for a high-value buyer to show might make more sense.

All IMHO, of course. 

Yes I think you are right, need to be patient and put in at fixed price and just relist until elusive private buyer comes along. BTW, I totally disagree about them being optically or mechanically inferior to Canon! And being made by Cosina is neither here nor there - are Leitz canada cameras inferior to leitz wetzlar?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:58 am »

I would think there would be a market for them. What lenses are you trying to sell? The FredMIranda forum has a buy and sell that ZE lenses seem to move in quite well. I might be interested in the lenses depending on which ones.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

NigelC

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:16 am »

I would think there would be a market for them. What lenses are you trying to sell? The FredMIranda forum has a buy and sell that ZE lenses seem to move in quite well. I might be interested in the lenses depending on which ones.

Alan

Of my 3 lenses, keeping 21 and will probably sell 28/2 or 35/2 but haven't decided which yet! Given amount of use, hard to tell from new, but I would guess P&P+ insurance to US would be prohibitive for a one off (I think if you have an account it's more cost effective)
Nigel

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:47:53 am »

Good luck Nigel, I have the 21 and the 35/2. I would try selling them on FredMiranda there are lots of Europeans on the list and I would guess the lenses will move.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up