Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stream mov files to your iPad  (Read 12455 times)

VidJa

Stream mov files to your iPad
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:24:42 pm »

Being a proud owner of the excellent lightroom tutorial I had a small problem. I wanted to view the tutorials on my iPad2. No problem there if you read the FAQ and use goodReader, but that cannot solve one minor problem. My iPad is out of storage.

So I tried streaming the videofiles to my iPad over my home network by putting them on my NAS. However I could not stream them, the iPad won't open the video when I browse to the files using Safari.

VLC worked perfectly, and even using firefox on Ubuntu 12.04 could connect to the stream, but hey, a desktop or a 17" buzzing laptop in bed is not an acceptable solution.

A Google search learned that the files should be in mp4 format for streaming to the iPad. Instead of a lot of windows based solutions Linux turned out to be my friend. With a single command I could convert the .mov files lossless to .mp4 using avconv in ubuntu 12.04

avconv -i filename.mov -c copy filename.mp4

In fact it turned out to be even simpler. Just renaming the files from .mov to .mp4 worked as well. 8)

Cheers Vic

francois

Re: Stream mov files to your iPad
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:11:08 am »

Being a proud owner of the excellent lightroom tutorial I had a small problem. I wanted to view the tutorials on my iPad2. No problem there if you read the FAQ and use goodReader, but that cannot solve one minor problem. My iPad is out of storage.

So I tried streaming the videofiles to my iPad over my home network by putting them on my NAS. However I could not stream them, the iPad won't open the video when I browse to the files using Safari.

VLC worked perfectly, and even using firefox on Ubuntu 12.04 could connect to the stream, but hey, a desktop or a 17" buzzing laptop in bed is not an acceptable solution.

A Google search learned that the files should be in mp4 format for streaming to the iPad. Instead of a lot of windows based solutions Linux turned out to be my friend. With a single command I could convert the .mov files lossless to .mp4 using avconv in ubuntu 12.04

avconv -i filename.mov -c copy filename.mp4

In fact it turned out to be even simpler. Just renaming the files from .mov to .mp4 worked as well. 8)

Cheers Vic

Have you tried VLC Streamer? I haven't but as far as I understand, it's supposed to "…stream movies from your computer to your iDevice".

HTH
Francois

VidJa

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 04:16:28 am »

Yes, vlc streamer worked as well. However, renaming the files was pretty straight forward.
The conversion with avconv also allows non-h264 files to be converted to something the iPad understands.

francois

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:56:25 am »

Yes, vlc streamer worked as well. However, renaming the files was pretty straight forward.
The conversion with avconv also allows non-h264 files to be converted to something the iPad understands.

I missed the "renaming" stuff from your first post… Sorry!

Have a good day…
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up