Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zotac GeForce GT 640 2GB Passive  (Read 2929 times)

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
Zotac GeForce GT 640 2GB Passive
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:15:15 pm »

Hi folks, I am specifying a new system (windows 7 64 pro if it makes a difference). I am looking at the above card. and possibly the 650 fan cooled model. But I am drawn to the quietness of the passive cooled system if they work well & have good service life.

Any experience with them? I am getting this machine primarily for Photoshop, Lightroom and some light video editing in PS  No gaming or 3D cad etc...

I do not think I need to spend the big bucks for a super cool high end card for this application. for the near future i am going to power one NEC PA271-BK monitor and add a second when I have the extra cash. or that is the plan anyway.
Warren

donbga

Re: Zotac GeForce GT 640 2GB Passive
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:44:03 pm »

Hi folks, I am specifying a new system (windows 7 64 pro if it makes a difference). I am looking at the above card. and possibly the 650 fan cooled model. But I am drawn to the quietness of the passive cooled system if they work well & have good service life.

Any experience with them? I am getting this machine primarily for Photoshop, Lightroom and some light video editing in PS  No gaming or 3D cad etc...

I do not think I need to spend the big bucks for a super cool high end card for this application. for the near future i am going to power one NEC PA271-BK monitor and add a second when I have the extra cash. or that is the plan anyway.

Don't know about the Zotac but I recently installed an EVGA 640 with 2GB video mem. It has cooling fans and a shroud to help induct air. Quite as a mouse. I too saw no point in a very expensive display card but based on my experience with other dual monitor capable video cards cooling fans are a must. These graphic adapters suck a lot of current and get hot.

I have a Cooler Master 690 II Advanced case which provides lots of ventilation with six case fans and a large Cooler Master cpu radiator with fan and the box is uber quite and cool!

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant 
Pages: [1]   Go Up