Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite Valley, CA  (Read 6849 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Yosemite Valley, CA
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 04:02:05 pm »

It would have been so easy to combine this long exposure with a fast exposure into one image, but I am glad you didn't. I think the image is far better with the motion captured and retained within it. An excellent image!

I suppose everyone knows that you can do the big stopper thing for as little as £1.20 don't you? - Go here - I think using these pieces of 10 stop glass gives you a slight colour cast on your image, but it is such a cheap option, and you can soon filter out any tints in post and of course that isn't a problem at all if you convert to mono  ;D

Dave

rambler44

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 09:50:04 pm »

I am enjoying the discussion here.  It is pleasing to see a unique view of this iconic subject taken by so many. I am most intrigued by luxborealis' professional opinion.  But, isn't the falls the brightest white in the image? Or is it the lowest clouds right in the center?

I wonder if you would agree with this statement from a book and is this image an example?  "Cloudy days bring soft light....Soft light tends to reduce contrast because tonal differences are less sharp.  Lines, shapes and textures may be less clearly defined."   Lines, shapes and textures are the basis of successful B&W images.
Was this indeed a cloudy day, so there is a lack of contrast which would help to bring out more texture etc.?

Are you saying that if the clouds were whiter, and the background not dark, the photo would be "more compelling".  I personally would gravitate toward dark storm clouds in the background.  I thought our eyes are drawn to white or light areas of an image, and aren't the falls which appear quite white to me, more interesting than the clouds which are dark? Our attention, therefore is drawn to looking at the falls.

Hopefully, I am not over-analysing this image which I do like a lot!

Do you have an image of this scene with a faster shutter speed freezing the action?  What was your thought process in showing the motion?  Why did you take the image or choose this view?  (I wish I had been there with you to catch this awesome scenery.)

I hope everyone goes to your link.  You have some wonderful images there, MYGF.  Outstanding color!

BTW brandtb, I really like the artists explanation at the bottom of the link.  I like to know the reasoning behind some of the neat images we see.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:59:39 pm by rambler44 »

MTGFender

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:03:38 am »

Thank you so much friends! I've learnt a lot from your thoughtful opinions.

Pramote
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up