Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite Valley, CA  (Read 6847 times)

MTGFender

Yosemite Valley, CA
« on: February 03, 2013, 03:28:01 am »

Hasselblad H4D-40; HCD 35-90mm; Lee 0.6 GND; Lee Big Stopper

Thanks for viewing!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:13:08 am by MTGFender »

sdwilsonsct

Re: Yosemite Valley, CA
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:24 am »

The motion makes it.

MTGFender

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 06:11:59 am »

Thanks very much Scott! Pramote

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:47:55 am »

I like the movement in the trees, grass, clouds, and water. These are the elements that have shaped the place.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 04:53:17 am »

To me, the motion in the grass and trees and clouds is a distraction which doesn't help recount the particular experience of that place.

Interesting. To me the motion effectively contrasts the ephemera of forests, grasslands, skies and photographers with the unchanging and indifferent mountains.

francois

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:26:42 am »

I'm not bothered at all by the motion of the trees and the grass. The big granite walls are a solid counterweight to the vegetal world.

Well done!
Francois

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 07:52:19 am »

Interesting. To me the motion effectively contrasts the ephemera of forests, grasslands, skies and photographers with the unchanging and indifferent mountains.

+1

James Clark

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:24:46 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:32 am »

To me, the motion in the grass and trees and clouds is a distraction...

+1 (as much as it pains me to agree with Isaac  :P)

There are cases where smudged parts in an image can successfully convey motion, and then there are cases where they just look like... well... smudged.

While I've seen numerous examples of Big Stoppers doing wonders on water (if you like that effect, of course), I have yet to see (or remember) cloud movements captured equally well. Or other moving parts for that matter.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:01:17 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:46 pm »

Without the motion, it's another of the millions. This one stands out well!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 08:12:35 pm »

A glacier shaped the place -- it's gone.
+1
Mountains are no more indifferent than forests, grasslands, and skies. If you've been close to a rock-fall you understand quite well that mountains are not unchanging.
+1
To me, what stands out, is the motion in the grass and trees and cloud -- and for that motion it might as well be a photo taken in a city park anywhere.
+1
However, long exposure does show something particular that wouldn't be seen with shorter exposures -- the spray across hundreds of metres below Upper Yosemite Falls; so to me the technique would been more successful on a still day, as a way to highlight the power of the falls.
+1

While I personally don't care for the knee-jerk habit of some to stop down and make every last bit of "liquid" water into a vapor - I've often thought - if it's so absolutely essential - why don't they just blur everything else in the picture too?  This come close to that. I kept looking at the blurry sky and thinking that those clouds are probably extraordinary - and would balance well the rocky range - without the blur. There is one shot of El Capitan in summer by Adams where there exists this balance - and it is one his best of E.C. imo.

There nominally should be (at least for me) compelling reasons why one chooses any camera effect/equipment, whether it is a lens, a camera, a focal length, an aperture, a shutter speed etc.. Regarding stopping down in this instance, I think Isaac's points are well taken...and for me there don't seem to be compelling reasons for doing this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:04:05 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

stamper

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:04 am »

I am a fan of long exposures. The top half of the image I really like but the bottom half seems disjointed as if it were two images pasted together? However I wouldn't argue with those who like the image as a whole. It is different.

MTGFender

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:47:11 pm »

Thanks very much everyone!
Are you surprised how different point of views we have on the same image? This is what I love about photography.
Best regards,
Pramote

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 09:11:08 pm »

It's not the motion that bothers me (at least not too much), it is the lack of some crisp near-whites and the muddy near-lifelessness of the sky and grass. My brain is saying that the spray from falls and the brightest part of the clouds should be higher in value than they appear. It's the effect I often see from students who do their developing using a black background instead of white (as in comparing the whitest white of prints to the back of the paper). Loading the jpeg into Lightroom confirms this - the highest value in the waterfall spray is 69.6% and in the brightest cloud is 81.4%. To me, they could be higher which just might serve to create a more compelling photograph.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

MTGFender

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:54:28 am »

It's not the motion that bothers me (at least not too much), it is the lack of some crisp near-whites and the muddy near-lifelessness of the sky and grass. My brain is saying that the spray from falls and the brightest part of the clouds should be higher in value than they appear. It's the effect I often see from students who do their developing using a black background instead of white (as in comparing the whitest white of prints to the back of the paper). Loading the jpeg into Lightroom confirms this - the highest value in the waterfall spray is 69.6% and in the brightest cloud is 81.4%. To me, they could be higher which just might serve to create a more compelling photograph.

Thank you for your sophisticated comment although I don't really understand everything you said.
 I am just an amateur photographer. When I take and edit the photograph, I've used my heart more than my brain. Whatever it feels right to me.
Pramote

gerafotografija

• gerafotografija.wordpress.com
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 11:13:31 pm »

Wow, I had to look at this one a few times to appreciate it fully.
From my perspective, the clouds balance out the trees, and the mountains balance out the grass, but with some dynamic interchange going on since there aren't any perfectly horizontal delineations to separate the zones. The contrast between bands/zones probably subconsciously echoes the perceived motion of the grass, trees, clouds, water in some lucky way.
Nice.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:46:15 am »

I would be inclined to go for a slightly more "letterbox" format by cropping up from the bottom, almost to the bottom of the right-hand trees. All that grass detracts from the drama of the trees, mountain, waterfall and sky.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

MTGFender

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:13 am »

Thanks very much my friend Isaac, PhotoEcosse and gerafotografija! Pramote

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 12:14:05 pm »

To orig. poster:  I saw these this morning - some very nice/interesting images using blurred/long exposure elements juxtaposed against the stationary/"solid" tree...or the dynamism of the blur against the static. (the infra-red another issue)  Might be worth taking a look...

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/27/long-exposure-infrared-photos-of-trees/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:59:11 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Francesco Carucci

• Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 02:41:23 pm »

I saw these this morning - some very nice/interesting images using blurred/long exposure elements juxtaposed against the stationary/"solid" tree...or the dynamism of the blur against the static.  Might be worth taking a look...

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/27/long-exposure-infrared-photos-of-trees/

That is very interesting. Worth a try.
Game Developer Advocate at Google
Facebook|Portfolio|Blog|Shop
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up