Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR filter, Hasselblad H3D-39  (Read 9413 times)

Eric Kellerman

• Eric Kellerman Photography
IR filter, Hasselblad H3D-39
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:07:31 pm »

The IR filter on my third-hand H3D-39 suddenly became partially cloudy, making it impossible to produce clean images. My regular lens cleaning person said it was neither fungus nor condensation, but looked as if the coating had come loose on both sides of the filter. The sensor is unharmed. After cleaning, there are still some cloudy spots but I can now use the camera if I keep the lens aperture reasonably large.

I obviously need a new IR filter, and I know my lens cleaning person can fit it for me. Has anyone ever bought such a filter and had it fitted without involving Hasselblad service?

FredBGG

Re: IR filter, Hasselblad H3D-39
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:25 pm »

Have you tried cleaning it with distilled water.
Sometimes there is some kind of residue that cannot be dissolved with regular cleaning fluids, but distilled water can sometimes take it off.

Apply the distilled water to a lens cleaning swab and clean the filter.

Don't put water drops right on the filter as it can seep behind the filter.

Could your problem be something behind the filter?

jerome_m

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:17:18 am »

I obviously need a new IR filter, and I know my lens cleaning person can fit it for me. Has anyone ever bought such a filter and had it fitted without involving Hasselblad service?

I doubt so. Finding the correct part will prove difficult: it needs to be the exact same thickness and the same frequency cut off. The filter is also glued to the CCD frame so replacing it is not easy.

Hasselblad has a fixed cost for "CCD cleaning" of 326€. I am not entirely sure that they will replace the filter for that price, but it seems so. The camera needs to be sent to the factory.

I'll second the idea to clean the filter with distilled water. It did wonders on mine.

bpepz

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:09:45 am »

hey, if you've got the h3d-39, hasselblad can actually replace the entire IR filter with a new one for around $600, not only a new one, but the improved thinner IR filter with multi-coatings seen on the H3DII.

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:57 pm »

Could your problem be something behind the filter?

Hi Fred

I think not, as my cleaning guy removed the filter and cleaned off the gunk on both sides as best he could.

I'll ask him about distilled water ...

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:21 pm »

I doubt so. Finding the correct part will prove difficult: it needs to be the exact same thickness and the same frequency cut off. The filter is also glued to the CCD frame so replacing it is not easy.

Hasselblad has a fixed cost for "CCD cleaning" of 326€. I am not entirely sure that they will replace the filter for that price, but it seems so. The camera needs to be sent to the factory.

I'll second the idea to clean the filter with distilled water. It did wonders on mine.

Thanks for your info, Jerome. It seems the filter is removable. At least in the case of my camera!

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:34 pm »

hey, if you've got the h3d-39, hasselblad can actually replace the entire IR filter with a new one for around $600, not only a new one, but the improved thinner IR filter with multi-coatings seen on the H3DII.

Thanks, bpepz. I'll check that out.

jerome_m

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 03:26:09 pm »

It seems the filter is removable. At least in the case of my camera!

Everything is removable when one wants, but the filter is certainly glued in place (I suppose the glue can be melted with heat...). Let me tell you what I have done last week: I sent my H3D-31 back to Göteborg to have its filter cleaned. There is material (probably mould) on the reverse side. Now I am waiting for their answer, but if they want to charge extra for a new filter or whatever, I shall point out that their web site: http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support/service/cost-estimates-and-fixed-service-prices.aspx lists the cost as 326€ for all to see. If they need to exchange the IR window, it is their problem, not mine. I don't expect a firm as reputable as Hasselblad to use a window which can be eaten by fungus in the first place. Besides, there is no cost estimate to have that part exchanged on their list, so I understand the exchange to be part of the "CCD cleaning" option.

If you want to know how the story end before you send in your camera, just wait a couple of weeks. But 326€ (+ tax, + shipping) is a perfectly reasonable fee for a new IR window (about 20-40€ in parts and about 1 hour of work is my estimate...).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:57:52 pm »

+1

Hi, I think it is cleanroom work.

Best regards
Erik
I hope he has insurance.
Erik Kaffehr

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 05:12:04 pm »

Everything is removable when one wants, but the filter is certainly glued in place (I suppose the glue can be melted with heat...). Let me tell you what I have done last week: I sent my H3D-31 back to Göteborg to have its filter cleaned. There is material (probably mould) on the reverse side. Now I am waiting for their answer, but if they want to charge extra for a new filter or whatever, I shall point out that their web site: http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support/service/cost-estimates-and-fixed-service-prices.aspx lists the cost as 326€ for all to see. If they need to exchange the IR window, it is their problem, not mine. I don't expect a firm as reputable as Hasselblad to use a window which can be eaten by fungus in the first place. Besides, there is no cost estimate to have that part exchanged on their list, so I understand the exchange to be part of the "CCD cleaning" option.

If you want to know how the story end before you send in your camera, just wait a couple of weeks. But 326€ (+ tax, + shipping) is a perfectly reasonable fee for a new IR window (about 20-40€ in parts and about 1 hour of work is my estimate...).

They will clean it even if it means replacing it. You will not be disappointed with it, that's what I think will happen.

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 05:24:14 pm »

Hi, I think it is cleanroom work.

Best regards
Erik

My cleaner has a cleanroom!

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:25:59 pm »

Thanks, Jerome. I will indeed wait to hear how it went for you.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 12:42:57 pm »

I had to replace the IR filter on my H3DII-39 last year, and it had to go to Europe. But I believe they're now doing it in Hasselblad New Jersey, or are about to start doing so. Try calling them, or call Mike in repairs at Samy's Camera Los Angeles (Fairfax / Hollywood store). He's in touch with them regularly.

Eric Kellerman

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 01:58:27 pm »

I had to replace the IR filter on my H3DII-39 last year, and it had to go to Europe. 

Fortunately, I am in Europe! Thanks anyway, epines.

jerome_m

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 12:19:23 pm »

Thanks, Jerome. I will indeed wait to hear how it went for you.

Not to my full satisfaction, I am afraid. The camera arrived today. The IR window was indeed exchanged and everything is clean, the camera works allright, etc... That is for the good part. It took about 3 weeks (from Germany), Hasselblad needed the full camera (I first sent the back alone, I wanted to still use the camera since I have a film back) and the back and camera covers were forgotten, that is for the less good part. The worse part is that it costs 800€. In addition to the 326€ (which I expected), there is tax and shipping (which I also expected), AF calibration for 180€ (which I did not expect, but know to be necessary if the new filter is a bit different) and 128€ of "general inspection and time" (which I did not expect at all). I think I will write back to Sweden to ask them if this is really their idea of fixed repair charges.

Now you have a report on the real charges that await you. I still would not have the IR window exchanged by a local shop, but that is just me. Cleaned inside and outside, maybe.

Gel

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »

Oh yeah, Hassy kit is really crazy ass expensive to repair. So much so if a lens needs a repair buy one used from ebay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up