Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evening in Beverly Hills  (Read 1020 times)

Mjollnir

Evening in Beverly Hills
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:55:09 am »

Beverly Garden Park, right on Santa Monica Blvd., changes sculptures every now and then, and recently they've installed some great ones, including "Endless V" by Jaume Plensa.  It looks extraordinary, just driving by it, but I found that once one gets right up to it, the surrounding buildings, street lights and streets bring all sorts of unwanted distractions and light clutter to any attempts at framing it well.

I have several exposures that where I completely got rid of the extraneous light and lighting, but then there is no context other than this lit up figure.  I'm curious to know what you all think of what I did leave in in order to highlight the figure.

Oh, we also could have arrived later, in order to have the sky completely blacked out, but I sort of like the deep blue.

Evening in Beverly Hills #2 by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:11:02 pm by Mjollnir »

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
Re: Evening in Beverly Hills
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »

I like the deep blue sky. I don't like the few remaining lights, though. Can you get rid of them?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »

Interesting work - very confrontational, it seems. Is the sculptor from Cataluña?

Regarding your pic, I'd leave in the lights outside of the actual sculpture because I feel they add a sense of location, yet seem low enough not to intrude. I could be tempted to add one or two more of them.... I also like the sky as you've done it.

Rob C

Mjollnir

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:45:17 pm »

Interesting work - very confrontational, it seems. Is the sculptor from Cataluña?

Regarding your pic, I'd leave in the lights outside of the actual sculpture because I feel they add a sense of location, yet seem low enough not to intrude. I could be tempted to add one or two more of them.... I also like the sky as you've done it.

Rob C

Yes, it's this guy:  http://jaumeplensa.com/web/

I actually removed what lights there were from frame left to get what I thought was a bit stronger effect of the figure.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:58:25 pm »

Yes, it's this guy:  http://jaumeplensa.com/web/

I actually removed what lights there were from frame left to get what I thought was a bit stronger effect of the figure.

Thanks for the link; some strange and interesting stuff in there! I particularly like his drawings and etchings portfolios. He seems to be quite a multi-talented guy. I wonder why he feels he wants to use English for his 'messages' on the artwork... I suppose it broadens the scope of the market, but Spanish-speakers easily rival English today, so maybe that says more about the likely tongue of potential buyers.

Another world to the one that I inhabit, I'm afraid!

Again, thanks for linking.

Rob C

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:55:01 pm »

As it is here, it is a document of the sculptor's work and not too much about the photographer. It would be better to me if this sculpture were a part of a bigger story. That is, if it were part of some interplay with another human form, let's say. The art here, belongs to the sculptor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up