Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finger to the Sky  (Read 1949 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Finger to the Sky
« on: February 02, 2013, 11:04:30 am »

This was taken Sep 2012 in Sedona AZ. Chimney Rock is visible between the sun and the stump, sort of framed by a void in the juniper, to help orient you. I have some others from this vantage point (a butte just south of Coffee Pot) that are more conventional sunsets, but liked this as what I think is a more unique "look." The streaming light is what caught my eye. I would value opinions. If there's interest in the more conventional sunsets, I could post for comparison. Also, any opinions on manipulation in digital landscape shots?

Appreciating feedback in advance,
Dave
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:06:21 am by David Eckels »

RedwoodGuy

Re: Finger to the Sky
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:51 pm »

For starters, when you suggest "finger in the sky" with the title, it shades my initial reaction in a not good way. It's a branch, and I would never have seen it as a finger. That's one of the dangers of too much "title content."

I like this picture, put without knowing why it looks fake. It looks like a photograph of a scenic backdrop. Something about the light doesn't ring true for me and I find my brain puzzling over the light. Can the front side of the log be lit that way in nature when the sun is behind? I dunno. What a great scene though? Majestic looking.

stamper

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:06:45 am »

Looks like HDR to me. If so then it spoils the image imo. There should be a lot more contrast to make it believable. If you are trying for a painting type effect then it looks more like the scene you want to achieve.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »

Redwood Guy and stamper,
Thanks for the feedback even though (somewhat) negative. IMO, that takes some courage and I appreciate your honesty. "Finger to the Sky" when I was thinking about it I was thinking about the Cistine Chapel with God's finger transmitting life to Adam, kind of a "finger" reaching up to heaven, but I see your point. As for the light, stamper is correct, this is an HDR image, but I thought I was presenting what I saw. Our eyes can adjust to different scenes and I could clearly see the shadow side of the log. I also had a certain feeling that the intense sunlight "washed out" my sense of color saturation, which I was trying to match in post. It's interesting that you perceive the representation as a sort of "unreality" and seem to react negatively. That's OK and I really do appreciate the honesty. Stamper, I am intrigued that the fact that this was an HDR exposure diminishes the image and would certainly like to hear your views on that; I know there are many that feel HDR is over done or somehow cheating, but to me it seems like an extension of pushing development or dodging and burning in the chemical darkroom. There are probably discussion threads here in LL, but I just haven't found them yet. I apologize if you thought I was trying to deceive by using this technique and not identifying that HDR was in fact used to create the image.
Anyway, hope I don't sound defensive cause I'm not and again, I appreciate what you shared. It is all part of the journey!
Thanks, and see you around the forumns!
Dave

RedwoodGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 05:54:18 pm »

I think you've done a good explanation of your photo regarding the HDR and other technical aspects. Perhaps that is causing the look that I found a little unreal. If my comments about "titles" was too strongly worded, I meant no direct offense. Usually, when I am critiquing photos I don't want to know anything about titles. If the artist assume it has to have a title, then for me it becomes a "mixed media" piece which involves words and pictures. I hope you show more photographs soon!

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:59:32 pm »

The trouble is that the HDR is a little overdone, so you've created an apparent light source somewhere in the foreground. The log looks lit-up from somewhere near the camera, which conflicts with the evident sun. It looks like you used a flash or a reflector, to be specific.

A lighter hand to create an 'open shadow' look would more accurately represent what the eye sees. What you've actually done isn't terrible, though, there's a surreal flavor to it. The entire scene could be considered a direct quote of Dali's Persistence of Memory, in fact. There are some definite points of resemblance.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 06:09:45 pm »

Redwood Guy and amolitor,
WOW! you guys are great. RG, no, you were definitely not over the top; I didn't even think of the linkage; I will, going forward. Thanks for the encouragement.
A, not familiar with the Dali reference, but will check it out...you know, you put your finger on something I noticed but really did not tumble to, the sense (false) of reflected light on the log, which was unintentional.  I will ponder your comments, perhaps I will rework the image in this context.
Thanks for the critiques. I am grateful for a forumn such as this.

amolitor

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 06:11:29 pm »

You know the Dali image, you'll recognize it. And I predict that you will be slightly freaked out at how much your photograph resembles it ;)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 06:36:05 pm »

Yup, I remember it. Kinda creepy, or a "persistence of memory" that I "copied" him. Well, much of all art is derivative!
Thanks!

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:57 pm »

Ok, please bear with me. I adjusted this along the lines of our earlier discussion. Have these adjustments moved this image in the "right" direction? Basically, I removed that "fill flash" effect from the HDR and cast the juniper bush and the log more into silhouette.
Look forward to you comments.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:36 pm »

Helps if I upload the image  :-[

stamper

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:44 am »

David I feel that this is a better rendering of the scene. More contrast. The sun is behind the bush so the foreground should be in shade to make it more "believable" At the end of the day this is all subjective. The framing is good. An image to make a few different renderings of and sit and look at them and decide which is best? :)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:28:10 am »

Stamper,
Understand the subjectivity AND appreciate the comments. The newer version looks more "real" to me now, but I am still intrigued with the sureal aspects of the other image. Of course part of that is the power of HDR and what's the saying? Power corrupts...  ;)
Thanks again!

stamper

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 08:52:41 am »

I should perhaps have stated that I am not a fan of HDR and a lot of the members on here don't seem to be either.  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up