Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today should have been a good day.....  (Read 2646 times)

Alun

Today should have been a good day.....
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:54:14 am »

I took delivery of a brand new Leica M9 yesterday evening together with a Summicron 35m lens. The Leica has been a camera I've lusted after for many years and so it should have been a good day but I'm feeling a little deflated.

I took it's first pictures this morning (nothing special, just a shot out of the office window) and it was obvious straight away that there were three large dust bunnies in the blue sky. I have to admit that I was a bit suspicious last night when I opened the box to find the inner slightly wear-marked, the plastic wrapper on the body looked like I wasn't the first (or even the second) person who had handled the camera and the exposure compensation in the main menu was set to +1.

The camera numbering of pictures shows the last one I took was LI000025 yet when I dropped the file into Opanda, the metadata says that it is the 376 shot from this camera?

I took the attached pictures at f/16 with the lens defocussed so it can only be sensor dust. I have checked the store listing and there's no mention of it being a used or demo camera - I have taken screen shots just in case. If I view the original JPEGS straight from the camera at 100% there must be c. 30 dust bunnies of varying darkness on the file.

I have emailed the store (an official Leica dealer) with my findings and will wait for their response but I just wondered what other thought about this? Is 376 activations typical of a new camera body (thats been tested in the factory)? Has anyone else found dust on the sensor in a new camera?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Today should have been a good day.....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:24 am »

Hi,

Cleaning dust is a problem we need to live with.

But, I feel a new camera should arrive with a clean sensor. I presume that Leica does zero the picture count after testing. My guess is that you got an "open box" package, that would be OK if clearly stated and offered at reduced price.

It's OK to complain to the sender and request a partial refound. But keep the camera. Test it! Test it! Test it! Than buy a Sensor Brush Artic Butterfly which you will need anyway and clean you sensor. When on shooting trip I do it several times a week!

Best regards
Erik

I took delivery of a brand new Leica M9 yesterday evening together with a Summicron 35m lens. The Leica has been a camera I've lusted after for many years and so it should have been a good day but I'm feeling a little deflated.

I took it's first pictures this morning (nothing special, just a shot out of the office window) and it was obvious straight away that there were three large dust bunnies in the blue sky. I have to admit that I was a bit suspicious last night when I opened the box to find the inner slightly wear-marked, the plastic wrapper on the body looked like I wasn't the first (or even the second) person who had handled the camera and the exposure compensation in the main menu was set to +1.

The camera numbering of pictures shows the last one I took was LI000025 yet when I dropped the file into Opanda, the metadata says that it is the 376 shot from this camera?

I took the attached pictures at f/16 with the lens defocussed so it can only be sensor dust. I have checked the store listing and there's no mention of it being a used or demo camera - I have taken screen shots just in case. If I view the original JPEGS straight from the camera at 100% there must be c. 30 dust bunnies of varying darkness on the file.

I have emailed the store (an official Leica dealer) with my findings and will wait for their response but I just wondered what other thought about this? Is 376 activations typical of a new camera body (thats been tested in the factory)? Has anyone else found dust on the sensor in a new camera?
Erik Kaffehr

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 11:41:10 am »

Leica doesn't zero after testing and a shutter count of 150 or so on a new Leica body isn't unusual. If you're looking at the unique image id, I believe it's called, be aware that it is in hex format so that a value of 376 could actually be well over 900 actual shots.

Later,
Johnny

Alun

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »

Thanks Johnny. I've checked this out and you're correct - the actual shutter count is 886!

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »

Thanks Johnny. I've checked this out and you're correct - the actual shutter count is 886!

I'm sorry but you REALLY should return your camera to your "official dealer". I know some Official Dealer here, in France, and trust me, things like that never happened. Not every one can be Leica Store.

So you should return this used camera to you so called dealer and ask for a total refund within 7 days or exchange againt a BRAND NEW boxed Leica M9. If I were you, I would inspect the lens too ...

Leica is a serious brand. I never heard of such a fail before. My guess is it is a dealer refurbished camera. Look like a skam if you paid the real price.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Johnny_Johnson

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 03:53:36 pm »

I know that it must be a disappointment and it smells like a store demo. I doubt that it's a refurbished unit if it includes a two year warranty. Here in the States, at least, refurbished bodies carry a 12 month warranty. If you got it at a good price, with the two year warranty card and the only signs of use are the dust bunnies then I'd consider keeping it. I wouldn't pay close to the current street price though.

Later,
Johnny

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

Leica sensors are notorious for attracting dust. I've had two digital M's and had to use a Giotto rocket on them often. I only had one instance where I couldn't get the sensor clean with a blower. I used a lens pen which took care of the problem. If you don't change lenses often the problem is extremely minor. However, in your case, I would send the camera back for exchange or refund.

Alun

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 07:27:45 am »

I have just received this email from the dealer:-

"Thank you for contacting us. As far as we are aware, the M9 that was sent to you was a brand new version. However, the issues that you have noted seem to be consistent with an M9 display model. Unfortunately, the only M9's we have left in stock are in grey. I'd be happy to exchange this for you if a grey version is suitable? Alternatively, we can arrange collection and offer you a refund on the M9 black. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like to discuss this further."

So I rang them and spoke to the writer of the email who was very apologetic. I believe that it was a genuine mistake on their part as they have nine stores and obviously some sort of central warehousing so they could have unwittingly sent me a used version.

I have decided that I will wait for the new M instead and because of the good service I've received, I will be buying the M from them with the confidence that if something does go wrong they will be there to help.

I am also now more than happy to give their name out - "Thank you" Wilkinsons Camera, Preston, England

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:38:46 am »

Here's my interpretation of the dealer's response:
"Sorry about that. Nine times out of ten we get away with it, so it's a fair cop guv..."
Roy

JeanMichel

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:52:04 am »

Hi Alun,
I am an M9 user. A replacement NEW M9 is not really possible as Leica now ship M-E's, same as M9 but with a few less features at a lesser price -- you may be better to get a substantial discount and perhaps an 'adjustment' trip to Leica under warranty. For some reason new cM's have a bit more dust issues during the first few weeks of use, at least that has been my experience, in any case it is an easy thing to deal with but it does require a kit such as a Visiblle Dust loupe, bulb blower, and Artic Butterfly. Earlier this year my sensor developed some uncleanable spots and was replaced under warranty by Leica.
As a Leica user you may find some good information in the Leica user forum: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum
Jean-Michel

Alun

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 10:54:38 am »

Many thanks for the link to this website Jean-Michel - looks good!
Pages: [1]   Go Up