Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue spot  (Read 3680 times)

sdwilsonsct

Blue spot
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:24:17 am »

Fresh from this morning. Thanks for looking!

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Re: Blue spot
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:52:36 am »

Glad it wasn't a yellow spot  :P

Seriously, fantastic shot. I enjoyed viewing it with a hot cup of coffee this AM.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

churly

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:47:32 am »

This is very nice.  I like your handling of the exposure and the balance between the light and shadow.

We're having our third weekend blizzard in as many weeks.  Cabin fever is setting in.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

Isaac

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 12:20:42 pm »

Sitting in a 3 foot wide frozen creek, with an inch of snow, or ... :-)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 01:29:23 pm by Isaac »

Praki

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 01:00:45 pm »

I really like it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »

Nice!

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 03:35:48 pm »

Engaging mood with the subtle focus on the "blue".

Mark

Tony Jay

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 05:12:58 pm »

A lovely image Scott.
Coming from much more tropical climes I find images such as these fascinating.
The subtle colours are great and the composition a joy to behold.

Congratulations.

Tony Jay

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 03:37:08 am »

Many thanks for your comments.

I feel fortunate these days that we can reproduce what we see, especially with regards to dynamic range.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 04:13:20 am »

I feel fortunate these days that we can reproduce what we see, especially with regards to dynamic range.

Since I am the local forum grump, I might as well:

I'm looking at a fantastic scene, captured from a great vantage point, but somehow I do not find the processing believable. The sky looks like it was pasted in. The depth of the scene is lost because the ground seems too light towards the horizon. My eyes would like to see a different transition. I think a better gradation toward the horizon would give the image more depth/perspective.

No, I also do not want to see those "local contrast" transitions that have become the norm as of late, but a bit more convincing transition would make this image more "real" if you will.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

stamper

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:53:45 am »

Since I am the local forum grump, I might as well:

I'm looking at a fantastic scene, captured from a great vantage point, but somehow I do not find the processing believable. The sky looks like it was pasted in. The depth of the scene is lost because the ground seems too light towards the horizon. My eyes would like to see a different transition. I think a better gradation toward the horizon would give the image more depth/perspective.

No, I also do not want to see those "local contrast" transitions that have become the norm as of late, but a bit more convincing transition would make this image more "real" if you will.

I think you have gone beyond being the forum grump....your post is a demolition job. :-[ Imo it looks real and a very nice image. Well processed and likeable though there isn't anything "happening" in it. Reading your description you want it to be a completely different from what it is.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:08:16 am »

I think you have gone beyond being the forum grump....your post is a demolition job. :-[ Imo it looks real and a very nice image. Well processed and likeable though there isn't anything "happening" in it. Reading your description you want it to be a completely different from what it is.

No, i'll repeat: I'm looking at a fantastic scene, captured from a great vantage point. I very much like the rendering in the lower half of the image. Totally convincing, and manages to capture that extremely delicate soft light that strikes the snow and brings out its subtle texture and makes it look like soft froth with only a hint of color etc.

But that distant mountain is lighter than the glowing sky behind it. That don't fly in my reality, to use a catchy phrase.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

stamper

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 05:33:03 am »

The light is in the upper left hand corner so it will probably be lighting the distant mountain. You seem to have re thought your verdict on the image which IMO is good.... but we are all entitled to our opinions. :)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 09:17:45 am »

...that distant mountain is lighter than the glowing sky behind it. That don't fly in my reality, to use a catchy phrase.

Thanks, Oscar. I really appreciate this kind of feedback, as well as the positive kind you supplied.

The sun here at 68°N is quite low, lighting the clouds and snowy mtns fairly evenly. The posted image is a bit special because the sky colour makes a clear demarcation between land and atmosphere. I attach an unprocessed image to give you an idea of what I mean. I'll keep working on this.

Thanks for your comments, Stamper.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »

I'm looking at a fantastic scene, captured from a great vantage point, but somehow I do not find the processing believable. The sky looks like it was pasted in.

Just cannot agree with this comment...I've experienced the inside of my nose crackle on mornings like this with a light very reminiscent of that in the sky here. The halo seems to have been introduced along the way in the processing and this is so lovely it is certainly worth the time to return to the file when you are able to give it its due. I like!
A common woman~

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:46:44 am »

Frozen, with added warmth... I like it.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 01:56:03 am »

Thank you, Patricia and Paulo. It was indeed a nose crackling morning.
But I was lucky with the weather. Now the wind has come up and taken the snow off the trees.
Pages: [1]   Go Up