Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma X3F RAW files in Lightroom 4.3  (Read 7512 times)

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
Sigma X3F RAW files in Lightroom 4.3
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:10:15 pm »

I am quite confused.  I have just acquired a Sigma SD15 Foveon sensor camera, whose RAW files are tagged X3F.  Everywhere I have read on this and other forums there are complaints that with these Sigma Foveon cameras, the processing of the RAW files can only be done through Sigma's proprietary Photo Pro software.  However, I have just seemed to successfully open my first X3F files taken with the camera in my Lightroom 4.3, and performed minimal edits on them.  Am I mistaken, or has the situation with processing these Sigma RAW files recently changed?  Please straighten me out or otherwise enlighten me.  Thanks.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

Vladimirovich

Re: Sigma X3F RAW files in Lightroom 4.3
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 06:07:49 pm »

I am quite confused.  I have just acquired a Sigma SD15 Foveon sensor camera, whose RAW files are tagged X3F.  Everywhere I have read on this and other forums there are complaints that with these Sigma Foveon cameras, the processing of the RAW files can only be done through Sigma's proprietary Photo Pro software.  However, I have just seemed to successfully open my first X3F files taken with the camera in my Lightroom 4.3, and performed minimal edits on them.  Am I mistaken, or has the situation with processing these Sigma RAW files recently changed?  Please straighten me out or otherwise enlighten me.  Thanks.

to work w/ .X3F you really need to use SPP, Iridient Rawdeveloper or SilkyPix... not that SilkyPix did not add support for recent Sigma cameras, Rawdeveloper did recently

as for Adobe their processing of X3F file seems to be date and not updated for many years, so you can try to use it, but it boils down to taste... like w/ Fuji XTrans... you can use LR/ACR, but a lot of people are unhappy

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 07:28:03 pm »

to work w/ .X3F you really need to use SPP, Iridient Rawdeveloper or SilkyPix... not that SilkyPix did not add support for recent Sigma cameras, Rawdeveloper did recently

as for Adobe their processing of X3F file seems to be date and not updated for many years, so you can try to use it, but it boils down to taste... like w/ Fuji XTrans... you can use LR/ACR, but a lot of people are unhappy

Well, I processed my test photos briefly first in SPP, then thought I'd give them a try in LR.  And the photos in LR for me looked much better, with richer colors and gradations.  So, the LR processing of these .X3F files may be dated, but for me the results are quite pleasing.  I may have to experiment further, but why go through the additional trouble of trying to work with SPP!  Thanks much for the clarification.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:44:34 am »

Well, I processed my test photos briefly first in SPP, then thought I'd give them a try in LR.  And the photos in LR for me looked much better, with richer colors and gradations.  So, the LR processing of these .X3F files may be dated, but for me the results are quite pleasing.  I may have to experiment further, but why go through the additional trouble of trying to work with SPP!  Thanks much for the clarification.

After further experimentation I have found that the best X3F processing results for me involve, not converting the X3F files directly into Lightroom, but rather doing a quick conversion from SPP to a 16-bit TIFF file, then passing that file to DxO for basic processing (rather than employing SPP editing) and THEN passing the DxO processed X3F files to Lightroom for any further processing I may deem appropriate.  Sounds like a fairly convoluted workflow, but it really isn't -- and I am very pleased with the results. 
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:09:26 pm »

After further experimentation I have found that the best X3F processing results for me involve, not converting the X3F files directly into Lightroom, but rather doing a quick conversion from SPP to a 16-bit TIFF file, then passing that file to DxO for basic processing (rather than employing SPP editing) and THEN passing the DxO processed X3F files to Lightroom for any further processing I may deem appropriate.  Sounds like a fairly convoluted workflow, but it really isn't -- and I am very pleased with the results. 

true... LR/ACR can be just fine post processing tools, but not necessarily fine raw converters in some cases... I run ACR to post process after RPP for example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up