Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 612 vs 617  (Read 11261 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
612 vs 617
« on: January 31, 2013, 04:39:56 pm »

Are there any inherent advantages or disadvantages of these two formats that I should be considering....looking at both models from Linhof thanks.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
Re: 612 vs 617
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 05:13:40 pm »

Kia ora,

I went with a 6x12 format back in the 90’s when I bought a Noblex.

My reasoning was the 6x12 fits better in a double page spread and if I wanted to get a 6x17 format it was easier to either crop top or bottom or both as chances where most of the top would be sky. Where as if you shoot 6x17 and what to crop to 6x12 you loss the wide angle affect.

Haere ra

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

RomanN.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 05:58:55 pm »

I would say the difference is really big, try to find out what format is better for your work.
The 6x17 and 6x12 camera systems from Linhof, Fuji and others are not really flexible, but expensive.
There exist a universal back- made in China- for 6x12, 6x14 and 6x17 cm. it can be mounted at all 4x5 inch kameras, and you get also a full 6x17 focusing screen. I paid for it about 400 euro some years ago, so it is a very cheap, you can use all 4x5 inch cameras like compact Technika, technikardan, Wista or arca swiss. You can use all movements of you camera- the panarama cameras has only shift.
Also the lenses are cheap as second haend, so you get an extremly wide, normal wide, normal and tele, so 4 lenses at prices that you can get only one lens for the panorama cameras. You can use Linhof finder in the older version, that is cheap and very good, so you are flexible and it is cheap.
When you have the experience with that formats and you are sure what you need and what not, you can still go for the right panorama camera and right lens without making mistakes.

DanielStone

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:21:27 am »

Brian,
1st, Try this:
Take some 8x10 mat board(doesn't need to be archival ;)), and cut a 'window' out of each.
One for the 6x17(Linhof is the only 'true' 6x17, Fuji is more of a 6x16 or so) format, one for 6x12
Take them with you when you go out, even if you don't plan to photograph. Frame up things using the cards, and see which format you prefer.
REMEMBER: With 6x17 you can always "chop the ends off" to get 6x".." format you want. 6x12 limits your 'choices' as it were, unless you purposefully WANT the 6x12 perspective straight out, no cropping.
Linhof makes a beautiful product, the 617SIII is probably one of the most beautiful products I've ever held in my hands, period. h GX617 system looks and feels like a toy compared to the Linhof, IMO.

But definitely try the viewing cards approach, much cheaper and easier than buying "another" camera system.

-Dan

Watch this video to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSEo9dBlvE4

Gel

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:19:42 am »

I've never owned one but did consider a Linhoff Technica.

I was shooting for the 612 as it emulates out natural view of the world.

617 is pure panoramic. So if I was shooting people and places it would be 612.

jwoolf

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:02:58 am »

Brian,

Whether you decide to go with 612 ro 617, I suggest that you look at the Shen-Hao panoramic view cameras.  These are nicely made little panoramic view cameras (basically a rip off of the Ebony design at a fraction of the price) that have full view camera movements.  The also make roll film backs for each model.  You compose your photo on a ground glass and then remove the ground glass back and attach the roll film back to make the exposure.  It is no more difficult to use than a standard view camera.  Shen-Hao not only makes a 612 and 617 version but also a 624 (6cm x 24cm).  These cameras are a fraction of the cost of a Fuji or Linhoff panoramic camera.  And you can use a greater variety of lenses with them.  The only importer of Shen-Hao that I know of is Badger Photographic.  Here is link to the Shen-Hao page of Badger site:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=234

John

jwoolf

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 11:05:43 am »

Brian,

Sorry for the confusion, but apparently Shen-Hao only make the panoramic view camera in 617 and 624, NOT 612.

John

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:53 pm »

No question the linhof is the rolls royce of cameras.  Quality is very high.
Rolleiflex USA

stevenf

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:19:23 pm »

You could also consider the Horseman 617

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:52:05 pm »

Thank you for these responses, I will certainly try the Card method. I would look at the Shen-Hao cameras, but I would prefer the more compact nature of the Linhof or Horseman style camera. I'm sure I'll post a review with my thoughts with whatever I end up with.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

theguywitha645d

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 01:31:12 pm »

If you use an enlarger, the 6x12 fits a 4x5 and 6x17 fits 5x7.

I had a Horseman SW612 (the one without the shifts). I used it handheld for documentary type work. It was very compact and quick to use. I got 6 shots to a roll. I really liked the camera--I did look at the Linhof, but the permanent 8mm shift just limited the camera.

The viewfinder was very nice and despite the flair, the 55mm was a great lens--I used the Schneider 58mm CF with it (avoid the Heliopan CF). I also had a 90mm and 135mm.

The Japanese stay true to the format, where other companies make odd ball formats. The Horseman is really 6x12, a 2:1 aspect ratio, and the image area is 56mm x 112mm. Some manufacturers make something wider like 56x120mm which is not 2:1. I would look at the actually image area of each of these camera and figure out what is happening.

Personally, I find the 3:1 aspect ratio harder to use, both horizontally and vertically. 6x12 is more cinematic, easier to frame different situations, more sky and foreground. I found the 6x12 even easier to use than my Widelux which is 2.4:1. But Josef Koudelka has done some great work with the 3:1 ratio. The more panoramic cameras you use, the better you can judge. Stitched panos are completely different--I go long there.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »

Agree with that last post. 6x12 is easier to handle, and it's a great proportion. I have the Linhof 612 and love it. Easier to keep the horizon level (or nearly so) than with 6x17. Smaller camera. And more shots per roll, which is more important than you might think. Loading film isn't fast. Not hard, but not fast either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up