Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cambo Factory Visit (***Updated with Article***)  (Read 3210 times)

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Cambo Factory Visit (***Updated with Article***)
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:44:02 pm »

When I was visting Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago, Lance Schad from DT was nice enough to arrange with Rene Rook from Cambo for me to get a tour of the Cambo factory. Here are a couple of pictures as a teaser for the article that I should have up in the next couple of days.

It was really interesting to get to see the entire manufacturing process under one roof, which is why it is a product of the Netherlands. very cool.  

Here we have an overview of the factory floor, a view of the raw cnc -ed camera body, which amazingly fits together and slides almost flawlessly thanks to the precision of the CNC machining process, a work bench with cameras being assembled, and a close up view of the new-ish tilt-swing adapter / mount.

the article will be available on my website; http://www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:54:15 pm by Brian Hirschfeld »
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

heinrichvoelkel

Re: Cambo Factory Visit
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:00:40 am »

interesting, looking forward to the read the article, when will you put it online (estimate is close enough)

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »

Next 48

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 05:39:52 pm »

great, thanks

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:53:59 pm »

Hello,

I have finished and posted my article on my visit to the Cambo factory and it can be read here: http://brianhirschfeldphotography.com/2013/02/02/cambo-factory-visit/

questions and comments are welcome both here and in the questions and comments section of my website.

Best,
BH
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:56:49 pm by Brian Hirschfeld »

K.C.

Re: Cambo Factory Visit (***Updated with Article***)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 02:31:03 am »

Thank you for posting and the article.

You have to wonder how long companies like Cambo will be able to stay in business given the limited market and Chinese competition.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 08:01:16 am »

You have to wonder how long companies like Cambo will be able to stay in business given the limited market and Chinese competition.

Cambo seems to be doing well---having released several new bodies and products recently.  Is there any Chinese competition in this arena??  It probably is because this is a highly refined camera and specialty market that makes it difficult for new entrants to accomplish cheaply.

ken

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 09:36:50 am »

We (digital transitions) lost a grand total of *zero* tech camera sales to any Asian manufacturers.

My feeling is that in this specific market niche a high value is placed on attributes like precision, fit/finish, service, interoperability, an history and the like. Price pressure is there, but not as high a priority as in other manufactured goods.

Moreover there are now digital backs with user interface, image review, and feature set (eg focus mask, live view) that allow tech camera use in a more confident and consistent (and IMO more enjoyable) way.

I'd say its a good time to be Arca/Cambo/Alpa.

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 10:17:54 am »

Both Cambo and Arca Swiss also design and manufacture some other products, not just cameras and not just for our industry. If you invest in a large CNC that can run 24/7 you can make almost anything with it...

Much of the cost of tech cameras is in the lenses and those do not come from China...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 10:19:42 am »

Wait and see...

Erik

Much of the cost of tech cameras is in the lenses and those do not come from China...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:07:08 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 11:13:59 am »

Hi,

I always liked technical cameras. If live view works and you can use focus masking it would really help technical cameras. An MFDB on a technical camera makes a lot of sense in my humble opinion.

Best regards
Erik

We (digital transitions) lost a grand total of *zero* tech camera sales to any Asian manufacturers.

My feeling is that in this specific market niche a high value is placed on attributes like precision, fit/finish, service, interoperability, an history and the like. Price pressure is there, but not as high a priority as in other manufactured goods.

Moreover there are now digital backs with user interface, image review, and feature set (eg focus mask, live view) that allow tech camera use in a more confident and consistent (and IMO more enjoyable) way.

I'd say its a good time to be Arca/Cambo/Alpa.
Erik Kaffehr

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:18:12 am »

As an IQ180 owner, and someone who's spent a lot of time around technical cameras (recently) I can say that from my experience the live view is pretty good, and the focus mask is very good. As I have mentioned before when shooting the Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 APO or the 80mm f/1.9N the focus mask can be very helpful even at these shallow DOF's! Certainly in good light the live view is useful.

torger

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 11:23:30 am »

If you can automate manufacturing to a large extent (i e reduce labour required per unit), it does not become so much cheaper to produce in Asia. Everywhere in the world you need the same CNC machines to produce at this level of precision.

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:31 am »

There is still finishing, care and precision in calibration put into the product which wouldn't necessarily be given if there is simply a CNC machine running somewhere in the world...

torger

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:06 am »

There is still finishing, care and precision in calibration put into the product which wouldn't necessarily be given if there is simply a CNC machine running somewhere in the world...

Yep. My point was that for products that require high cost machines and materials in relation to labour, you can compete quite well even if you produce in a "high cost country". Producing many high value units with a relatively small work force is key.

Making shoes or clothes that needs lot of labour and materials/machines are cheap is worst...
Pages: [1]   Go Up