Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A couple tweaks for C1v7.x  (Read 4886 times)

Phil Indeblanc

A couple tweaks for C1v7.x
« on: January 30, 2013, 10:34:02 pm »

In the process tools in v7.02, I find that the Output Location could be a bit adjusted....

1: In the Process tools, When you click the arrow in OutputLocation, it simply points to the location currently selected. You cannot change the Location from the arrow. If you want to change the OutputLocation, you must select the drop down list that simply displays the current Location, and then a "Choose" option.    This "Choose" option takes you to the computers main Root directory.

It would be very helpful if the arrow that opens to the current Location could also allow you to select a new location if needed.  If for some reason that doesn't work for you, maybe the "Choose" from the drop down could at least route to the current location to change the folder.
This way we don't have to skip, hop, jump, and go through a bunch of folders to get close to where we generally work.

Does this make sense?

2: Is there any way we can have C1 process to open in another application?  This I'm sure has likely been suggested before, but I can't see why I shouldn't be able to select 4 or 7 files in the browser window and launch them in some pano or stitching x,y,z etc application. No?

3:A few little tweaks like that...there are others, I will add to this. If you can think of others, add and make a list for sprucing C1!
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: A couple tweaks for C1v7.x
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 12:16:58 am »

"Open with" is already there right in the process recipe options.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:25:55 pm »

Thanks Peter, Although my intention is to avoid going to the Process tools.
"Process" is an option in the right click of any selected image. I was hoping to see it as I right click. Perhaps below or along "Process".
It would be very useful, as I hardly change the parameters(TIFF/RGB/16bit/300/100%) of my output process, just the location I regularly change.This I have to do when I start a particular session. It would be perfect if it asked, also see "Tweak #1".
With one right click and select, The files are off to the next app, without changing tools interface...Continue working in C1 while the files process and open.

Does either one sound logical or useful to anyone?

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 06:17:05 pm »

Phil, to process I always  go to the Process tools where  I have set up in "Process Recipe" "Basic" tab to open in Photoshop. In the "File" tab I choose to save the processed image in a folder "Develops" as a sub-folder of the image root folder.

I tested using the right click method you prefer and it did just what my recipe defines as I described above. Of course the appropriate recipe must be active, so, if it were to be changed a different result may take place.
Jack Varney

tingyat

• Rogan Coles Photo Archive
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:07:32 am »

Seem to have come to this party a little late.

What no one here seems to have indicated or clarified here is whether they are referring to working in Sessions or Catalogs.

In Sessions, the Output, Selects and Trash folders are automatically created with each new Session. In using Catalogs, now such luck - seems like you have to create a new Output folder - somewhere. If not, the output images seem to be placed just about anywhere. Thus, to "output" files while working with Catalogs, seems like you need to go to Process and create a "receipe" to set all this up and for things to work as desired.

While I'm blown away by the image editing capabilities of C1 7.0.2, there certainly seem to be some interesting "issues" while getting this app to work in ways that one expects. In words attributed to Steve Jobs, "The main thing in our design is that we have to make things intuitively obvious". In my opinion, C1 is hardly intuitive and there are parts in this app where the "obvious" is missing and this in chunks. What Phil has brought up here is but one instance of this state of affairs.

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:32 pm »

The method I described, which is provided by the "Process" tool, works for either Sessions of Catalogs.
Jack Varney

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 09:15:23 pm »

Thanks Jack, but the method you describe in making recipes complicates things even further. I am interested in a passive approach to processing. One that gets us working fastest, and not built on complexities that often will fail or change. locations processes and recipe needs always change. For some that change is at every shoot.
I have yet ever needed to make a recipe, and I hope I don't need to just to get to process my file out to an specific app.

The reality is that most professionals who have a brain to make their own decisions that test out the quality they strive for will have more than one Raw processor.
Since stand alone DAM catalog apps do a great job(at least 3 of them I tested), and with how smoothly LR makes this process of incorporating a DAM within....The last thing anyone wants to do is manage more than one application for a catalog.

Since C1v4 my experience of C1 has been anything but "intuitively obvious".   I have done my best to post suggestions and the issues I and many users have had, along with all the praises it does deserve on the quality of processing. Still, I have yet to see a shift in the behavior to a more...call it "user friendly", or logical direction.  Perhaps the one shift to doing things right was when Media Pro was purchased. But with the huge task of Catalog management added ON TOP of an already complex processor with C1v7, I don't see Media Pro having much of a future. I wish it keeps Media pro on and they put more effort into it and make it better(I purchased it and tried using it briefly with PSD and TIF format issues).  This would be a strong way to compete with LR in a 2 pronged approach.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 05:30:26 am »

Thanks Jack, but the method you describe in making recipes complicates things even further. I am interested in a passive approach to processing. One that gets us working fastest, and not built on complexities that often will fail or change. locations processes and recipe needs always change. For some that change is at every shoot.
I have yet ever needed to make a recipe, and I hope I don't need to just to get to process my file out to an specific app.

The reality is that most professionals who have a brain to make their own decisions that test out the quality they strive for will have more than one Raw processor.
Since stand alone DAM catalog apps do a great job(at least 3 of them I tested), and with how smoothly LR makes this process of incorporating a DAM within....The last thing anyone wants to do is manage more than one application for a catalog.

Since C1v4 my experience of C1 has been anything but "intuitively obvious".   I have done my best to post suggestions and the issues I and many users have had, along with all the praises it does deserve on the quality of processing. Still, I have yet to see a shift in the behavior to a more...call it "user friendly", or logical direction.  Perhaps the one shift to doing things right was when Media Pro was purchased. But with the huge task of Catalog management added ON TOP of an already complex processor with C1v7, I don't see Media Pro having much of a future. I wish it keeps Media pro on and they put more effort into it and make it better(I purchased it and tried using it briefly with PSD and TIF format issues).  This would be a strong way to compete with LR in a 2 pronged approach.

Phil,

The point of recipes is to produce multiple file outputs from the same Raw (TIFF, JPEG, Web or even different sizes of the same format) without having to enter an export dialog for each file type.

D
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:50 pm »

Thanks to clarify David, I don't find it so useful for my needs as don't often make multiples from a single file(At least not at the same time). Also I sharpen each size and file type a bit different from another(often using other Sharpeners). I also like having a watermark tool I can have adjustable presets (I hope I overlooked this and maybe there is one,) for my email or jpeg files.

Although the Recipes don't apply to what I'm suggesting, as you, Jack was trying to be helpful in showing that it maybe useful in some way.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:38:18 am »

Thanks to clarify David, I don't find it so useful for my needs as don't often make multiples from a single file(At least not at the same time). Also I sharpen each size and file type a bit different from another(often using other Sharpeners). I also like having a watermark tool I can have adjustable presets (I hope I overlooked this and maybe there is one,) for my email or jpeg files.

Although the Recipes don't apply to what I'm suggesting, as you, Jack was trying to be helpful in showing that it maybe useful in some way.

Hi Phil,

YOu can disable the sharpening in the process recipe and you can also add a watermark.

Hence you could make an 'Email' recipe which added such a watermark.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 11:45:54 am »

Yes, I understand this. Although I point out the limits within using them.... as I see other sharpeners working better for lower resolution JPEG files, and I also think the watermark feature can have a few presets in memory. It is also limited to C1_Pro (which I have not upgraded my C1v6Pro yet), and use the C1v7 DB, and you can't watermark on anything but RAW files. Which I only do so for final Jpegs. This of course is a limit of C1 DB, not Pro. But there you have another ambiguous split of what it can and cannot do.

I think this misses the entire point.
The point is to make things more available streamlined... After raw adjustments, Select a group and rightclick,  Process..... Why not Process TO "x app" within one step? Why take me back to a Process panel, or worse to someplace to create a recipe?
All I ask for is logical adaptive progressions. Not so much the classic sense we learned of how Logic works from university days). Not run like a military chain of command that I have to keep reporting to the proper commander. Software should be "dynamic", visually intuitive, and flexible to some degree. The "military command rule" should be at its invisible core, not for the user expoerience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up