Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 Display 2 Replacement  (Read 6401 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
i1 Display 2 Replacement
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:45:11 pm »

I have the Eizo CE210W monitor and have been using the i1D2 with Color Navigator, Eizo's own software.  I've been happy with the results, but it's time to upgrade.

I've been considering the Colormunki because I also want to profile my printing. I'd rather have the i1 Photo Pro 2, but it's a little pricey for my budget right now.  I've read that the Colormunki isn't great for the display calibration, but is it any better than the i1D2?
Mike Guilbault

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: i1 Display 2 Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:50:08 pm »

The ColorMunki should do a fine job on the display, albeit not as ideal as the Colorimeter. But for a multitasker, it will do the job.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 05:53:15 pm »

I'm not as critical as some folks and have been quite pleased with the canned icc profiles for the Epson papers I use, so I can't see it being that far off on the monitor and still possibly better than what I have - an outdated monitor calibrator and no custom paper profiles. 
Mike Guilbault

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:36:33 pm »

I'm not as critical as some folks and have been quite pleased with the canned icc profiles for the Epson papers I use, so I can't see it being that far off on the monitor and still possibly better than what I have - an outdated monitor calibrator and no custom paper profiles. 

If you have no intention of making printer profiles, you don't need the ColorMunki, go for the EyeOne Display Pro.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:09:24 pm »

oh, but I do want to make printer profiles.  At least everyone is saying that even with the Colormunki the paper profiles are better, so I'd like to see if they are.  I was more concerned if the CM worked as well on the display.
Mike Guilbault

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »

oh, but I do want to make printer profiles.  At least everyone is saying that even with the Colormunki the paper profiles are better, so I'd like to see if they are.

Uh...if you are talking about Epson paper profiles, I doubt you will be able to make profiles that are any better than the Epson supplied profiles–seriously. If you are talking 3rd party paper, then yes, it's very likely you will be able to make better profiles than what some paper companies offer. Making custom profiles can be useful but the way that Epson printers handle Epson paper is really, really consistent (very little unit to unit variations) to the point that having to make custom profiles is really mitigated...I think you are likely to spend a lot of time (and some money) only to find little difference between the Epson canned profiles and a custom profile.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 10:22:21 pm »

hmmm... something to consider then Jeff.. thanks.  I do have some sample packs of Hahnemühle that I'd like to try.  How are their profiles?  Am I going to notice a significant better output? 

The great thing about the Epson papers is that I can order them from right across the street, mostly get them next day and don't have to pay for shipping.   
Mike Guilbault

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 10:30:26 pm »

I do have some sample packs of Hahnemühle that I'd like to try.  How are their profiles?  Am I going to notice a significant better output? 

I really can't comment on other specific papers/profiles because, well, I tend to use Epson paper. In the past I've made custom profiles for various Epson papers and found the results were not really any better than the canned Epson profiles.

All I know is that over the years, paper profiles from 3rd party paper makers have been problematic with some being good/ok and others less good. I suggest trying the Hahnemühle supplied papers and seeing what they look like...if the color transforms are good, if the profile behave well when soft proofing and determine what, if anything needs to be improved.

All I'm saying is that you should not "assume" a custom profile will be better...they might–particularly if you are really good at making profiles, use really good instruments and use the optimal settings when making a custom profile. Some people (such as Andrew, the D-dog) are really good at making profiles. A lot of people who buy the hardware/software may not have the skills (nor time to devote to getting good) and are disappointed in their results.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 10:36:18 pm »

another good point Jeff.  Maybe I should just get the i1 Display Pro and make sure my monitor is as good as it can be.  And if down the road I really feel the need to work with other 3rd party papers, I'll look into the full i1 Pro2 solution.  thanks!
Mike Guilbault

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 02:46:08 am »

another good point Jeff.  Maybe I should just get the i1 Display Pro and make sure my monitor is as good as it can be.  And if down the road I really feel the need to work with other 3rd party papers, I'll look into the full i1 Pro2 solution.  thanks!

You can also consider replacing monitor, and not getting a sensor at all.

Modern displays for color critical applications like NEC PA, EIZO CX with deadly accurate high-bit 3DLUTs can be calibrated and profiled automagically with NEC MultiProfiler or EIZO ColorNavigator Elements software (without a sensor).

Wide gamut panel can simulate saturated colors of SPx900 much better than CE210 (which is normal gamut display), plus it will be larger, more uniform, smooth so you'll get better control and more convenience while preparing images for printing.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 07:18:53 am »

I probably will get a new, larger monitor at some point, but after just purchasing the Epson 9900 I'm in need of more sales before any new major purchases for a while. 

Will the ColorNavigator software that came with the CE210W work with the i1 Display Pro or am I better off using the i1 Profiler software?
Mike Guilbault

tho_mas

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 08:51:25 am »

Will the ColorNavigator software that came with the CE210W work with the i1 Display Pro
yes, it does. Make sure to download the latest software version on Eizo's site. http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cn/index.html#anchor03

or am I better off using the i1 Profiler software?
Color Navigator should do a better job as Eizo knows the monitor. Calibration softwares do not just read numbers from a measurement device. There are also correction tables within the softare - when the software knows the specific monitor and the specific measurement device these correction tables are more precise.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 09:03:32 am »

Thanks tho_mas! 
Mike Guilbault

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 11:19:23 am »

yes, it does. Make sure to download the latest software version on Eizo's site. http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cn/index.html#anchor03

I'm afraid that there's no CE240 support in the latest CN 6.4

The last ColorNavigator that supports it is v5.4.6, but it doesn't support i1Display Pro

tho_mas

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 11:49:36 am »

I'm afraid that there's no CE240 support in the latest CN 6.4

The last ColorNavigator that supports it is v5.4.6, but it doesn't support i1Display Pro
oops... seems you are right and they dropped support for older CE models. I wasn' t aware of that.
Thanks for clarifying.
Sorry Mike!

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 02:17:35 pm »

just got this reply from Eizo too

Please see below response from our Technical Dpt. when presented with your e-mail inquiry:

Unfortunately neither the latest Mac OS nor i1Display Pro supported for CE210W.

Here is the link for the latest software information/download for CE210W.
http://www.eizo.com/global/support/db/products/model/CE210W#tab02

But, we are sorry to say that if he uses the latest version of Mac OS. (10.8),
the ColorNavigator version that work with CE210W does not support 10.8 OS.
(Supported OS is 10.4.10 to 10.6 for Color navigator 5.4.5).

Also i1 Display Pro is not supported by ColorNavigator 5.4.5.

Suggestions:
- If available, use Mac OS 10.6 and use Color Navigator 5.4.5.
- consider other compatible photometer as shown above

=> or upgrade a monitor to CG223W, CX240, CG243W etc.

Mike Guilbault

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 02:36:51 pm »

basICColor Display 5 supports hardware calibration for CE210, it supports i1Display Pro and works under OS-X.

But - considering, that the CE210 has only 10bit 1DLUT - hardware calibration won't give significantly better results than i1Profiler.

I'd also consider not buing new sensor nor profiling software, and save money for new CX240.

tho_mas

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 04:54:09 pm »

I'd also consider not buing new sensor nor profiling software, and save money for new CX240.
Well... actually I'd ALWAYS recommend to replace any low budget colorimeters by a DTP94b. GREAT device, even on wide gamut monitors IF the calibration software provides decent correction tables (Eizo Color Navigator -also older versions -, basICColor Display and Quato iColor Display do).
apart from that it's really hard that Eizo recommends to upgrade the monitor :-/

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 04:05:40 am »

Well... actually I'd ALWAYS recommend to replace any low budget colorimeters by a DTP94b. GREAT device, even on wide gamut monitors IF the calibration software provides decent correction tables (Eizo Color Navigator -also older versions -, basICColor Display and Quato iColor Display do).
apart from that it's really hard that Eizo recommends to upgrade the monitor :-/

Problem with DTP94B is that it relies on correction matrices, and doesn't match CIE curves as well as other sensors, so when a software doesn't provide corrections, it doesn't work well. It works well with iColor Display and ColorNavigator, but I'm not sure if basICColor display has any corrections for this instrument (I guess not), and I'm sure US NEC SpectraView II has none.

I belive i1Display Pro is as good as DTP94B, but it already has 5 generic spectral calibrations for CCFL, WGCCFL, W-LED, RGB LED and projectors in SDK, so it basically works well with any software that supports it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 04:09:37 am by Czornyj »

tho_mas

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 05:28:20 am »

but I'm not sure if basICColor display has any corrections for this instrument (I guess not)
basICColor applies corrections to the DTP94 in conjunction with a known monitor. Known monitors are those which are supported for hardware calibration or combined hardware/software calibration.
For "generic" displays I also guess basICColor doesn't provide any corrections (other than "LCD" and "CRT" which are very broad corrections and do not work very well for wide gamut displays).

Pages: [1]   Go Up