Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depressing Winter Weather  (Read 1637 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Depressing Winter Weather
« on: January 30, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »

In the last 36 hours we have gone from gorgeous snow and -10°C to this... (+8°C and rain). If this photograph conveys the dreariness of a mid-winter thaw and you begin to feel depressed, then I will count it as successful.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:13:16 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Marty Tannahill

Re: Depressing Winter Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:36:54 pm »

I'm really liking this.It sure sets the mood.
Msrty

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:39:07 pm »

The photo conveys the dreariness very well. But I was already getting depressed just watching our cross-country ski trails slowly disappear. Sigh.

francois

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:15:56 am »

Terry,
You managed to reach your intent perfectly! It's probably the season that I dislike most, the disappearing snow reveals brownish patches of old grass, everything is soaked and one can hear melting snow dripping from branches. Depressing? Certainly!
Francois

Larry Heath

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:30:50 am »

Can you say Seasonally Affective Disorder?

Yes Sir, I seem to remember whole weeks of this stuff as a kid living just outside of Buffalo on Lake Erie. This image reminds me a lot of what I remember running around in, down in the bottom of 18 Mile Creek as a kid. Even when we didn’t have the wet slushy stuff, it seemed like we more often than not had that low dull gray atmosphere where the clouds almost seemed so low that you could nearly reach up and touch them. Oppressive!

Seems like we only had the bright crackling blue sky and fresh powdery snow right after a big storm blew through; your photo surely reminds me of how I remember a lot of winter being.

So, now as a counter point to my normal penchant of trying to see everything in B&W might I suggest putting just a hint of dull low saturation color back into this image?

Great image as is by the way.

Mjollnir

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »

Pity.  That's the sort of weather I like.

Fine_Art

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 01:50:29 am »

Its a lovely picture.

The days are getting longer, I can feel it. Compared to howling -20 to -30C black December days it is quite tolerant to life. As opposed to downright hostile to life.

Pages: [1]   Go Up